Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - how to claim

This advice applies to Wales

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people aged 16 to 64 with a disability or long-term health condition.

It's being introduced in stages from 8 April 2013. Eventually, it will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for all new claims and for existing DLA claimants who were aged 16 to 64 on 8 April 2013 or who reach age 16 after that date.

This page tells you how to start your claim.

Top tips

The date of your claim is the date of your first phone call to the DWP, if you supply any further information required within one month. This is the date from which you'll be paid if you qualify immediately. So don't delay making the call. Your claim can't be backdated.

Before you claim

Because PIP is being introduced in stages, you may not be able to claim immediately. Before you claim, check whether you can claim PIP yet.

Starting a claim

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) want people to start a claim for PIP by phone. To make a claim, phone them on the PIP new claims phone line.

Department for Work and Pensions

Personal Independence Payment new claims line

Tel: 0800 917 2222 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)
Textphone: 0800 917 7777 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)

Calls are free from landlines and most mobile phones. You can ask the DWP to call you back if you're worried about the cost of the call.

Tell the DWP if you have any special communication needs, for example, if you need to receive information in Braille or large print or if you need an interpreter. It may be possible for the DWP to dial an interpreter into the call.

The phone call will be recorded by the DWP.

What the DWP will ask you

The DWP will ask you basic questions to work out whether you're eligible to claim PIP.

It will speed up your claim if you have all the information that the DWP needs when you phone them, including:

  • your name
  • National Insurance number
  • date of birth
  • full address and postcode
  • daytime contact number
  • nationality
  • information about time spent abroad in the last three years
  • information about time spent in a care home or hospital now or previously
  • GP or other health professional’s details
  • bank or building society account details.

If you're not a British, Irish, Swiss or EEA national, the DWP will also ask about your immigration status. For example, they will want to know whether you have permission to stay in the UK temporarily or permanently, and whether your passport says that you have 'No recourse to public funds'. This is because your immigration status affects whether you can get PIP.

At this stage, the DWP won't ask you about your health condition or disability, or how it affects you, unless you're claiming under the Special Rules for terminally ill people. If you're terminally ill, they'll ask about your illness and about any difficulties you have getting around.

If you can't answer all the questions in your first phone call

If you can't give all the information required in your first phone call, the DWP should tell you what further information they need. You must provide it within one month if you wish to continue with your claim. This period can be extended if the DWP agrees that it's reasonable to do so. For example, they may agree to an extension if you go into hospital or need to see an adviser. You must phone them to explain that you need an extension and why.

If you don’t give them all the information they need within one month or ask for an extension, you may lose money because you’ll have to start your claim again. Your claim can’t be backdated.

How long will the phone call take?

If you have all the information that the DWP needs, the phone call is expected to last at least eight minutes, but could take longer.

If you're unable to use the phone

If you can't use the phone, someone else can call the claim line on your behalf. However, you'll need to be with the person making the call so that you can give the DWP permission to speak to that person.

If you're unable to use the phone and you can't get anyone to make the call with you, you can write to ask the DWP for a paper claim form PIP1 or askfor a paper claim by textphone on 0800 917 7777. The address to write to is:

Department for Work and Pensions

Personal Independence Payment New Claims

Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

The DWP will only provide a paper claim form in exceptional circumstances, so you should tell them why you can't use the phone when you write to them. If you don't do this, they are likely to try to phone you.

The paper claim form must be authorised by the DWP and the form will have your name on it when issued. You can't get this form from an advice agency or a friend, or download it from the internet.

Can you make a claim on behalf of someone else?

You can only claim PIP on behalf of someone else if:

  • you hold Power of Attorney for that person, or
  • you're an appointee who's been authorised by the DWP to claim benefits on behalf of that person, or
  • you're applying to become an appointee, or
  • the person you are claiming for is terminally ill.

If none of these circumstances apply, you can still phone the DWP to make the claim, but the claimant must be with you to answer security questions when you make the call.

What happens after the phone call?

When the DWP has all the information they need, they'll decide whether you meet the basic eligibility conditions for PIP.

If you meet the basic conditions, the DWP will send you form PIP2 to fill in. This form is called the 'How your disability affects you' form.

If you don't meet the basic conditions

If you don't meet the basic conditions because of your age, the DWP can treat your claim as a claim for Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance instead. They may need to contact you for further information about your claim.

If you don't meet the basic conditions for any other reason, the DWP will send you a decision letter refusing your claim. If you disagree with the decision, you can ask them to reconsider it. This is called a Mandatory Reconsideration.

If you're not ready to claim yet

If you're not yet ready to claim PIP, but have a general enquiry about it, don't call the new claims number, but use the PIP enquiry line instead:

Department for Work and Pensions

Personal Independence Payment Enquiry Line

Tel: 0345 850 3322 (Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm)
Textphone: 0345 601 6677

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.