Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Taking legal action about discrimination in housing

This advice applies to Wales

If you’ve experienced unlawful discrimination when renting or buying a property, you can take legal action against the person who discriminated against you.

Read this page to find out more about taking legal action if you’ve been discriminated against when renting or buying a property.

Before you take court action

Taking court action can be a long and stressful process. It can also be expensive. It’s important to keep in mind that if you lose the case in court, you may have to pay the other side's legal costs which could be high.

If you’re thinking about taking court action, you should get advice from an experienced adviser - for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Check whether discrimination has happened

The law which says you mustn’t be discriminated against is called the Equality Act 2010. Discrimination which is against the Equality Act is unlawful. If you want to take court action you need to be reasonably sure that unlawful discrimination has taken place, according to the Equality Act.

Check your housing status

If you’re a tenant, you need to be aware there’s a risk you might lose your home if you take action against your landlord as he might try to evict you. It’s therefore important to check your housing status as some tenancies offer more protection than others against eviction. If you’re renting from a local authority or housing association you generally have more protection from eviction than if you’re renting from a private landlord.

If you’re unsure about your housing status and what action to take, you should get advice from an experienced adviser - for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Where do you make a discrimination claim?

You can make your discrimination claim in the County Court.

What are the time limits for making your claim?

There are strict time limits for going to court. You need to make your claim within six months less one day of the act you’re complaining about. It’s important to keep this in mind if you want to try and resolve your problem informally first.

The court can allow a claim outside the time limits, but only if it considers it just and equitable to do so.

You may be able to get legal aid to help you pay for your court action. To get legal aid you need to meet the eligibility criteria. You can contact the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) who can help you find out if you can get legal aid.

You can also check if you’re eligible on the GOV.UK website at

What do you need to show the court?

To show unlawful discrimination, the Equality Act says you need to prove enough facts from which the court can decide, without any other explanation, that discrimination has taken place.

If you can show the court facts from which it can conclude that unlawful discrimination has happened, it’s then up to the person or organisation who discriminated against you to show it's not unlawful discrimination.

How do you obtain information to support your claim?

It’s a good idea to keep all emails, letters or other documentary evidence if you have this to support your claim. In addition there are ways of getting more information for when you go to court.

You can ask for information about your treatment from the person you think has discriminated against you. If you’ve been discriminated against by a local authority or housing association, you may be able to make a Freedom of Information request.

You can find more information about making a freedom of information request on the Information Commissioner's website at

What can the court do?

The court can:

  • make a declaration that the discrimination happened
  • order the healthcare or care provider to give you compensation
  • make an order telling the healthcare or care provider to do or not to do something - this is called and injunction.

If you’ve been discriminated against by a local authority or housing association

Local authorities are public authorities. In some circumstances, housing associations may be public authorities too. Public authorities have additional duties towards you.

What's a public authority?

The law says that a public authority is an organisation which provides public services. This can be a public sector organisation, like a local authority, but it can also be a private organisation or charity if it carries out public services or functions. A housing association can be a public authority when carrying out some of its functions as a social landlord.

Using human rights law to strengthen your claim

If you’ve been discriminated against by a public authority, you may be able to use the Human Rights Act 1998 to strengthen your discrimination claim. You could also make a separate human rights claim.

In addition to a discrimination or human rights claim you may be able to make:

  • a public sector equality duty claim
  • a public law claim.

Next steps

Other useful information

Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS)

If you have experienced discrimination, you can get help from the EASS discrimination helpline.

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

You can find useful information about discrimination on the EHRC website at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.