Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to England. Change country

Flexible working - further help

The following organisations may be able to provide information and advice on flexible working.

Working Families

Working Families helps parents and employers find a better balance between home and work life. It has tools to help you make a flexible working request. It provides information and advice on family-friendly rights and runs a helpline for families on low incomes where you can get advice on legal rights, benefits available and working family-friendly hours.

The contact details for Working Families are:

Cambridge House
1 Addington Square

Free legal helpline for low income families: 0300 012 0312 (Monday from 10.00am to 1.00pm and 6.00pm to 7.00pm; Tuesday from 10.00am to 2.00pm; Thursday and Friday from 10.00am to 1.00pm)
Tel: 020 7253 7243 for administrative queries
Email: for administrative queries
For advice, please call 0300 012 0312 or email

Maternity Action

Maternity Action is a national charity which runs a helpline giving advice and information about rights and entitlements during pregnancy, maternity leave and return to work.

Maternity Action undertakes research, campaigns, provides training, and produces information sheets for parents and advisers covering employment, welfare benefits, tax credits and healthcare.

The contact details for Maternity Action are:

52-54 Featherstone Street

Advice Line: 0845 600 8533 (Wednesday and Thursday from 3.00pm to 7.00pm; Friday from 10.00am to 2.00pm)
Tel: 020 7253 2288 for administrative queries

Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS)

If you have experienced discrimination, you can get help from the EASS discrimination helpline.

More about the EASS helpline

The EASS has also published template letters which you may find useful if you want to complain about discrimination. They are available from the EASS website at

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) provides information on the rights of people working and earning, on its website at The EHRC also provides information on flexible working issues on its website at

You can find useful information about discrimination on the EHRC website at

Carers UK

Carers UK is a charity that provides support to anyone who is a carer. It also offers advice to employers who want to support carers in their workforce.

The contact details for Carers UK are:

20 Great Dover Street

Helpline: 0808 808 7777 (Monday to Friday from 10.00am to 4.00pm)
Tel: 020 7378 4999
Email address:

Carers Wales

River House
Ynys Bridge Court
Cardiff CF15 9SS

Tel: 029 2081 1370

Carers Scotland

The Cottage
21 Pearce Street
Glasgow G51 3UT

Tel: 0141 445 3070


Acas, the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, gives guidance on employment issues. Its website is: It has also published guidance and a code of practice on flexible working. These are available at: Acas Code of Practice and guidance.


Further information about flexible working in is available on the GOV.UK website at

Did this advice help?