Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Get housing help if you’re leaving or have left the armed forces

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

This information applies to:

  • people who will soon be leaving the armed forces
  • people who used to serve in the armed forces (veterans)
  • the dependants of people who will soon be leaving the armed forces and veterans

If you have housing questions or problems, there is help available for you if you are in the armed forces, a veteran or a family member of someone in the armed forces or a veteran.

You can use this information to find out about the help available to you, depending on your situation. You can also use this information to find out about organisations that can help you with your housing needs.

Help you can get with housing before you leave the services

If you are leaving the armed forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.

You can get help through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO).

They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. If you are a veteran currently living in armed forces housing, they can help you move out and find a civilian home.

You can contact JSHAO in the following ways:

Joint Service Housing Advice Office
Floor 2, Zone 2 
Montgomery House
Queen's Avenue
GU11 2JN

Advice line: 07814 612120

If you need specially adapted accommodation, for example, because you are disabled or have a disabled child, you can apply to have your details entered on to one or more Accessible Housing Registers.

For more information about Accessible Housing Registers, see Finding accommodation.

Help you can get with finding a home as a veteran

If you are a veteran, you can get help to find somewhere to live from your local council. They can give you free advice on housing options, and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

For more information about the advice available from your local housing authority, see Finding accommodation.

You can find details of your local council on the GOV.UK website at

You can get a referral to a service that supports veterans at risk of or experiencing homelessness. The service is called Op FORTITUDE. 

You can refer yourself, or get a referral from:

  • a member of the public

  • homelessness or veteran charities

  • your local council

  • prison and probation services 

  • Defence Transition Services (DTS)

Op FORTITUDE will assess:

  • your immediate safety

  • your current housing situation and location

  • your housing needs - for example adaptations, size of property and location

They'll also assess if you need help with things like setting up utilities, budgeting and help claiming benefits.

Op FORTITUDE will match you with supported housing or help you stay in your current housing. Supported housing is accommodation where residents get support, supervision or care. It aims to help people live as independently as possible. 

Op FORTITUDE can also make referrals to veteran charities for other forms of support.

Telephone: 0800 952 0774
Calls to this number are free from mobiles and landlines.
Online referral form:

If you're homeless

If you don't have anywhere to live, you can get help from your local council.

The council has a legal duty to provide help to certain people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. When deciding if there is a legal duty to help you, one of the things the council will look at is whether you have a priority need.

If you're leaving the armed forces, you have priority need.

For more information about finding somewhere to live, see Finding accommodation.

If you have nowhere to live, you can get help and advice from an experienced adviser, for example at your local Citizens Advice

If you're a disabled veteran

If you need everyday help, or help with things like adaptations to your home, you may get this from your local council or the welfare service of Veterans UK.

You can find out about the help available from Veterans UK on their website or call the helpline on 0808 1914218.

Check your local council's website to find out what services they offer. You can find your local council on GOV.UK.

You may also be able to get help from some veterans' organisations.

Care homes for veterans 

There are a number of care homes available just for elderly and disabled veterans.  

You can find out more information and advice about this from the Royal British Legion.

Their contact details are:

Legionline: 0808 802 8080

For more information about housing options for older and disabled people, see Care homes.

Further help

More information for the armed forces, veterans and their families

For more financial information, see Benefits and concessions for the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

For more pensions information, see Pension and compensation schemes for the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

For more information on housing, see the Housing section.

Armed Forces Covenant

The Armed Forces Covenant provides support to service personnel, veterans and their families. The Covenant campaigns for fair access to government and commercial services such as healthcare and education. Find out more about the Covenant on their website.

Seafarers' Advice & Information Line (SAIL)

SAIL is a UK-wide Citizens Advice service dedicated to serving and veteran Royal Navy personnel and their families. They offer free housing advice and support. 

Seafarers' Advice & Information Line (SAIL)
Phone: free on 0800 160 1842 (Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm - or you can leave a message outside these hours)

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion provides advice and information for all veterans and their dependants. You can get advice by contacting them at:

Legionline: 0808 802 8080
Email: via the website

They have a number of care homes for veterans and their dependants

The Royal British Legion also provide a list of other housing options available for veterans

Veterans UK

Veterans UK, which is an Agency of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), is the sole Government-funded source of help and advice for veterans. Its website has a lot of useful information for veterans and their families, including on welfare support and other specialist support programmes that are available to veterans. It also provides links to many other veterans organisations.

Veterans UK also runs a free helpline for veterans, which gives advice on many topics.

The contact details of Veterans UK are:

Veterans UK
Ministry of Defence
Thornton Cleveleys

Veterans Helpline: 0808 1914218

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 169 3458

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.


Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association Forces Help

If you are serving in the armed forces, a veteran or the dependant of those serving and veterans, you can get free housing advice from the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) Forces Help.

They provide advice and assistance to those eligible for help. They also provide some housing facilities.

They also provide help to people who are homeless.

You can find out more information by contacting the housing advisor at:

Telephone: 0800 260 67 67

Veterans Aid

If you are homeless, or are likely to become homeless, you can get help from Veterans Aid.

They can provide direct and immediate help to vulnerable veterans with finding hostel accommodation.

You can find out more information by contacting them at:

Veterans Aid
40 Buckingham Palace Road

Helpline: 0800 012 68 67

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?

Dywedwch fwy wrthym am pam nad oedd ein cyngor yn helpu.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.