Extra benefits and help you can get while on DLA

This advice applies to Wales. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland

If you get DLA for your child, you might be able to get extra money from other benefits or help with travel, for example you might not have to pay vehicle tax.

You’ll need your DLA decision letter before you can apply for this extra help - you’ll be sent this when you get a decision on your DLA claim.

 You might also be able to get other benefits. Check what other benefits you can get.

Cost of Living Payments

The government gave people getting DLA a £150 Cost of Living Payment between 20 June and 4 July 2023.

To get this payment you must have either:

  • been getting DLA on 1 April 2023

  • applied for DLA by 1 April 2023 - you won't get the payment until your claim is successful

If you think you should have received a Cost of Living Payment, you can report a missing payment on GOV.UK.

Higher payments of benefits you already get

You can get higher payments of the following benefits if you get DLA for your child:

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit

  • Universal Credit

You’ll also be exempt from the ‘benefit cap’ which limits the amount of benefit payments a household can get.

Check who pays your benefits and contact them (their contact details should be on any letters they send you). Tell them you’re getting DLA for your child and ask them what other help this entitles you to - it’s a good idea to have your decision letter handy when you call.

It's best to do this as soon as possible after getting a DLA decision.

Getting DLA won’t reduce any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to.

Check if you can get Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after someone with a disability or health condition.

You’ll have a good chance of getting Carer’s Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you earn less than £139 a week

  • you get the middle or higher rate of the care component of DLA

  • you spend at least 35 hours a week (total) caring for your child 

Read more about claiming Carer’s Allowance on GOV.UK.

Get travel support

If you get the higher rate mobility component, you can get:

Apply for a grant from Family Fund

Family Fund is a charity that supports families with disabled or seriously ill children under 18 years old.

You might be able to apply for help if you’re on a low income and you care for a disabled or seriously ill child at home.

Check if you’re eligible and find out how to apply on the Family Fund website.

If you’re struggling with money

There are things you can do to save on your regular living costs. Check what to do if you need help with living costs.

If you’re finding it hard to pay your bills, you can get help. Find out more about getting help with your bills.

Next steps

How to claim DLA for your child.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.