Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

The Welsh Water HelpU scheme – help with paying water bills

This advice applies to Wales

If you get help through the Welsh Water HelpU scheme, your water bill will be capped. This means you won't pay over a certain amount for the year.

If you have a water meter and the charge would be lower than the Welsh Water HelpU amount, your bill will be based on the actual reading. Otherwise the bill will be capped at the Welsh Water HelpU level.

To qualify for you the Welsh Water HelpU scheme, you must have an annual household income of less than £15,000.

The Welsh Water website has a list of the types of income they count as household income. You'll need to tell them about your income when you apply.

Apply for Welsh Water HelpU

To apply for Welsh Water HelpU you can either:

If you need help making your application you can either:

You'll need to supply evidence that you qualify, like a payslip or a copy of your awards notice for a benefit.

When you will start getting help

You'll start getting help from the start of the billing period during which you first applied.

If your water and sewerage services are provided by different companies, the water company should tell the sewerage company that you're getting help. The sewerage company should then adjust their charges.

You may have to show evidence that you still qualify for help each year. Welsh Water will let you know if and when you need to do this.

If you think you aren’t entitled to help anymore

If you don’t think you're entitled to help from Welsh Water HelpU anymore, let Welsh Water know. Your help will stop at the end of the current billing period.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.