Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Support for people using direct payments

This advice applies to Wales

Direct payments allow you to receive cash payments from your local authority instead of care services. This page tells you who can help you to manage your direct payments and where to get more advice.

Local authority help

The local authority (LA) should help you to use direct payments to arrange your own care. For example, it may help you to access a payroll service or to get help with employment record-keeping. Contact your LA's social services department to find out how they can help.

Other support services

In most counties in Wales there is a support organisation for people who have direct payments. Contact your local council’s social services team for the most up to date information and support.

You can find the contact details for your local council on GOV.UK.

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK has an Independent Living Advice Line that gives advice on getting direct payments and managing them.

Disability Rights UK Independent Living Advice Line

Tel: 0300 555 1525 (Mon and Thurs 9.00am to 1.00pm)


Contact a family

Contact a family can provide information or advice on direct payments for disabled children.

Freephone helpline 0808 808 3555 (Mon - Fri, 9.30am to 5pm)

The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG)

The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has a Disability Tax Guide website. The website has guidance about tax and national insurance issues if you have a carer or personal assistant.

Other useful information

Age Cymru have produced a fact sheet, Self-directed support: direct payments in Wales. It is available on their website at

Disability Rights UK has produced a helpful fact sheet, Community care direct payments. You can get a copy on their website at

See also

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.