Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Check if your housing problem is discrimination

This advice applies to Wales

It might be against the law if someone treats you unfairly or differently because of who you are, such as being disabled or being a woman. If it is, you can complain or take them to court.

The main law that covers discrimination in housing is the Equality Act 2010 - Part 4 is about housing. It covers you when you’re looking for a place to live or living somewhere.

If you’re being evicted, you might also be able to use your discrimination rights to help defend the eviction in court.

Discrimination has a specific meaning in the law - not all problems will be against the law, but there are still things you can do to solve them.

There are a few steps to follow before you decide what action you can take. The steps will help you apply the law to your situation - they don't include examples of every kind of discrimination problem.

The first step is to check if you’re protected by the Equality Act 2010.

Go to step 1
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.