Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Planning permission

This advice applies to Wales

If you want to carry out work on your property or change the use of a building or other land, you may need to get permission from the planning department of your local council. This is called planning permission.

This page tells where to go for more information and help with planning.

Applying for planning permission

You can find information about how to apply for planning permission on the Planning Portal website - the government's online service for planning. You can use the tools and information on this site to find out about planning in your area and what development you can perform around your house.

The Planning Portal is available on - make sure you are looking at the Welsh site, you can select this at the top right of the page.

The Portal's services also let you apply for planning permission electronically as well as submit and track an appeal online.

Getting help with planning

Planning Aid provides free, independent and professional planning advice to community groups and individuals who can't afford to pay professional fees. Further information about eligibility and planning matters is available on the website at:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.