Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

If you didn’t agree to switch energy supplier

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you get an unexpected final bill or welcome letter from an energy supplier, your supply might have been switched without your agreement. This could happen if:

  • a supplier made a mistake, for example by confusing your address with someone else’s
  • you were misled by a salesperson

Contact the supplier

You’ll need to contact either your old supplier or the new one. It’s usually quickest to call them - you can find their details on any letters or bills they send.

Let them know that you didn’t agree to the switch, and ask them to cancel it if it’s still in progress. If the switch has already happened, ask them to reverse it.

Make a note of the date and time you call, and who you spoke to. You might need to refer to this later if you need to complain.

If you’d prefer to complain in writing, you can use this example letter.

What happens next

Once you’ve contacted the supplier, they should write to you within:

  • 5 working days to explain what they plan to do, and when
  • 20 working days to confirm they’re reversing the switch

These deadlines are part of the ‘erroneous transfer customer charter’, which all suppliers need to follow. If the supplier doesn’t reply, or if they take too long, you should make a complaint.

You’ll still get bills from your original supplier, and won’t have to pay anything to the other supplier.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?
A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.