Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Check if you can get 'new style' JSA

This advice applies to Wales

You might be able to get 'new style' Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) while you look for a full-time job. You can get it while you’re out of work, or if you’re working less than 16 hours a week.

You can claim new style JSA on its own or with Universal Credit - check if you can get Universal Credit.

There are 2 old types of JSA, which some people are still getting - they’re called ‘income-based’ or ‘contribution-based’.

You can only apply for income-based JSA if you’re already getting contribution-based JSA - check if you can get income-based JSA.

You can’t make a new claim for contribution-based JSA.

Check if you can get new style JSA

You can claim new style JSA if:

  • you've worked and paid Class 1 National Insurance in the last 2 to 3 years
  • you're 18 or over and under State Pension age

You should also be:

  • working less than 16 hours a week
  • available to work full time
  • actively looking for full-time work
  • not in full-time education
  • not claiming Income Support

You can’t get new style JSA if you:

  • are under 18, but there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17
  • have an illness or disability which means you can’t work – you should check if you can get ESA instead

You can contact your nearest Citizens Advice to find out what help you can get.

If you’re applying for new style JSA it doesn’t matter what country you’re from.

If you can’t get new style JSA

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit - if you are, you can apply for that instead.

How much JSA you’ll get

If you’re eligible for new style JSA, you can get a 'personal allowance' each week of up to:

  • £61.05 if you’re 18 to 24
  • £77.00 if you’re 25 or over

The exact amount you get will depend on your circumstances - for example, your payment might be less if you work part-time or get a pension.

If you're 18 or over, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to work out how much you can get, or contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.