Check if you can get 'new style' JSA
You might be able to get 'new style' Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) for up to 6 months while you look for a job. You can get it while you’re out of work, or if you’re working less than 16 hours a week.
You'll usually need to show you're looking for a full time job to claim new style JSA - this is 35 hours or more a week. You can look for a job with less hours and still be eligible if:
- you're a carer
- you’re responsible for children aged under 13
- you can’t work full time because of a disability or illness
You can claim new style JSA on its own or with Universal Credit - check if you can get Universal Credit.
There are 2 old types of JSA, which some people are still getting - they’re called ‘income-based’ or ‘contribution-based’.
You can only apply for income-based JSA if you’re already getting contribution-based JSA - check if you can get income-based JSA.
You can’t make a new claim for contribution-based JSA.
Check if you can get new style JSA
You can claim new style JSA if:
- you've worked and paid Class 1 National Insurance in the last 2 to 3 years
- you're 18 or over and under State Pension age
You should also be:
- working less than 16 hours a week
- available to work
- actively looking for work
- not in full-time education
- not claiming Income Support
You can’t get new style JSA if you:
- are under 18, but there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17
- have an illness or disability which means you can’t work – you should check if you can get ESA instead
You can contact your nearest Citizens Advice to find out what help you can get.
If you’re applying for new style JSA it doesn’t matter what country you’re from.
If you can’t get new style JSA
Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit - if you are, you can apply for that instead.
How much JSA you’ll get
If you’re eligible for new style JSA, you can get a 'personal allowance' each week of up to:
- £67.20 if you’re 18 to 24
- £84.80 if you’re 25 or over
The exact amount you get will depend on your circumstances - for example, your payment might be less if you work part-time or get a pension.
You can get new style JSA for up to 182 days - this is about 6 months.