How an administration order is managed over time

This advice applies to Wales. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland

This page tells you how an administration order is managed over time and how your payments will work.

Managing the administration order

How will the payments work?

Once an administration order is officially granted by the court, you must make your payments to the court, not to the creditors. The court officer then distributes the money to the creditors, usually four times a year.

When you make your monthly payments to the court, the court will deduct 10% from each payment to cover their costs. 10% amounts to 10p in every pound.

For example, if your monthly payments were £150, the court would take £15 from that for their costs.

Reviewing the administration order

The administration order may be reviewed at certain times. The court will tell you and the creditors if it will be reviewed and how often. This is to make sure payments are being kept up. You should be given seven days' notice of a review.

What if your circumstances change?

If your circumstances change you should tell the court straight away. If you are struggling to make payments, you could ask the court to review the administration order. You must tell the court straight away if you change address.

Struggling to pay

Can you get more credit while you've got an administration order?

Getting an administration order will affect your credit rating which may make it more difficult to get credit. This will be the case with most debt solutions.

More about your credit rating

Can you cancel the administration order?

If you want to cancel the administration order you can do. But you should think carefully before doing this. You will still have your debts to pay and your creditors will start chasing you for the debt again.

When does an administration order end?

An administration order will end when all the debts and court costs have been paid. This is called being discharged. When the order is discharged, no further action can be taken by the creditors included in the administration order.

When the administration order has been paid in full, you can ask the court for a certificate of satisfaction. This costs £15. The court will change the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines to say that the administration order has been paid. You might want to ask the court to mark on the Register that you have paid any court judgments in full as part of the administration order. You will need to get a certificate of satisfaction from the court where judgment was entered and pay a separate fee for each one.If you had a composition order, only the registration of the administration order can be marked as paid, because individual judgments to a composition order haven't been fully paid.

Next steps

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.