What is the Best Start Grant
The Best Start Grant is a package of 3 Scottish benefits to help parents and carers on low incomes with the costs of having a child in the family. It replaces the Sure Start Maternity Grant for people living in Scotland.
The Best Start Grant
The Best Start Grant is a package of 3 payments:
- the Pregnancy and Baby Payment - a one-off payment of £606 for a first child or £303 for a second or later child. It can be paid during pregnancy or until the baby is 6 months old in most cases. It could help you pay for maternity clothes, a cot or a pram
- the Early Learning Payment - a one-off payment of £252.50 if your child is between 2 and 3 1/2 years old. It could help you pay for day trips, books or toys for home learning
- the School Age Payment – a one-off payment of £252.50 if your child is around school starting age. It could help you pay for a new school bag, school trips or after school activities.
The 3 payments are grants, not loans, so you don’t have to pay them back. You can decide how you want to spend the money.
How does the Best Start Grant affect other benefits
If you get a Best Start Grant payment, it won’t affect any other benefits or tax credits that you get.
Best Start Foods
If you're pregnant or you have a child under 3, you might be able to get help from the Best Start Foods scheme. This is a benefit to help you buy healthy food for yourself and your children.
You usually need to be getting certain benefits to be eligible. If you're under 18 and pregnant or responsible for a child under 1, you can get the benefit whatever your income.
Best Start Foods has replaced the Healthy Start voucher scheme for people in Scotland.
You can apply to Social Security Scotland for Best Start Foods at the same time as you apply for the Best Start Grant.
Find out more about Best Start Foods.
- Check if you can get a Pregnancy and Baby Payment
- Check if you can get an Early Learning Payment
- Check if you can get a School Age Payment
- Check if you can get Best Start Foods
- How much are the payments
- How to apply
- Challenging a Best Start Grant decision
- Find out about other help you can get if you are expecting a baby.