Student finance and funding

This advice applies to Scotland. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Wales

If you're thinking of studying for a qualification at college or university, you can find information on courses on the My World of Work website.

The funding you can get will depend on the type of course that you do.

Further education

Further education includes courses at college below SVQ level 4 or SCQF level 7.

There is information about further education funding on the Student Information Scotland website.

Higher education

Higher education includes courses such as HNC, HND and degrees.

You can find out about higher education funding on the Student Information Scotland website.

If you normally live in Scotland and you meet the residency criteria, you might be eligible for funding from the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). You can find out more about applying for student finance on

If you're from outside the UK, EU, EEA and Switzerland

Some students settling in Scotland can get funding. You can find guidance about funding and residence conditions on the SAAS website.

Postgraduate students 

There’s information about funding for postgraduate students on the SAAS website.

Discretionary funds

Discretionary funds are a source of financial help from universities and colleges to students in further or higher education.

The funds aim to help students who have financial difficulties or who may not be able to enter further or higher education for financial reasons.

Payments from the funds are discretionary. If payments are awarded, you don't need to repay them.

There is information about discretionary funds on the Student Information Scotland website.

Benefits for students

You can find out about benefits for students in the Benefits for Students in Scotland Handbook, 2023-2024 edition, on the CPAG Welfare Rights website.