Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Community rights to buy and take over land and buildings

This advice applies to Scotland

In some communities, problems in the environment may be caused by the way land or assets are being used. There is legislation that allows community groups either to buy, rent or take over land or other assets in certain circumstances. Anyone interested in setting up a community group for this purpose can get help from the Community Ownership Support Service at This Scottish Government funded service can also provide advice to the community group once it is set up about how to buy the land or take over assets.

There is a very helpful summary about asset transfer on the Scottish Government website at

There is also a helpful Route Map available on the website of the Community Ownership Support Service at that explains all the steps involved in a community group applying to transfer assets of a public body.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.