Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Carer's Allowance

This advice applies to Wales

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who are giving regular and substantial care to disabled people in their own homes. Carer’s Allowance is a taxable benefit and forms part of your taxable income.

Check if you can get Carer’s Allowance

You can get Carer’s Allowance if you meet all the following conditions:

  • you are aged 16 or over and not in full time education
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person who gets one of the following benefits: Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, the middle or higher rate for personal care of Disability Living Allowance, the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (either rate) or Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • you don't earn more than £123 a week after deductions such as tax and national insurance
  • you are in Great Britain when you claim - there are some exceptions, for example, for members and family members of the Armed Forces
  • you are not subject to immigration control that would stop you getting benefit.

There are some exceptions to these conditions if you're living in another EEA country.

In some cases, you may meet the conditions for both Carer's Allowance and another benefit, such as state retirement pensioncontributory Employment and Support Allowance or contributory Jobseeker's Allowance.

If your Carer's Allowance is either the same as or less than the other benefit, you will get the other benefit rather than Carer's Allowance.

However, if the other benefit is less than your Carer's Allowance, you will get the other benefit and the balance of your Carer's Allowance on top.

The rules about this are complicated and you may need to get advice.

If in doubt, you should always make a claim for Carer's Allowance as this might also allow you to get extra amounts of means tested benefits such as Housing Benefit and the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit.

Always check with the person you are caring for before you make a claim for Carer's Allowance as they may lose some of the benefit they get, such as a severe disability addition, if you make a claim.

If you're not eligible for Carer's Allowance and you care for someone for more than 20 hours a week, you might be able to get Carer's Credits. These are credits that fill in gaps in your National Insurance record - this decides whether you can get State Pension. Find out more about Carer's Credits on GOV.UK.

You do not have to have paid any national insurance contributions to get carer’s allowance.

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you and the person you are caring for move to another EEA member state or Switzerland, or if you’re already living in one of these countries. You can find out more about claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad on GOV.UK.

If you’re from the EU or European Economic Area

You’ll need to prove different things about your life here if you’re from the EU or European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. You’ll need to do this if you’re from Switzerland too.

You’ll need to give evidence to show:

  • the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man is your main home and you plan to stay - this is known as being ‘habitually resident’
  • you’ve lived in England, Scotland or Wales for 2 out of the last 3 years - this is called the ‘past presence test’

Check if you’re habitually resident

It’s best to check if you’re habitually resident first. You’ll then need to show you can pass the past presence test.

If you're a returning UK resident

You’ll need to give evidence to show the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man is your main home and you plan to stay. This is known as being ‘habitually resident’.

Check how to prove you’re habitually resident.

How much Carer's Allowance you can get

Carer’s Allowance is paid at a standard rate for the person making the claim.

You can check the current rate of Carer's Allowance on GOV.UK.

Claiming Carer's Allowance

To make a claim for Carer's Allowance you can:

You can't make a claim by phone.

If you need help making your claim, contact the Carer's Allowance Unit.

Carer's Allowance Unit

Telephone: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
NGT text relay (if you can't hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Mail Handling Site A 
WV98 2AB

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

You can find out more about Carer's Allowance on GOV.UK.

If you were entitled before you make your claim, you can ask for benefit to be paid for an earlier period of up to three months. You should ask for this on your claim form. You do not have to give a reason why you are claiming late.

You will have to provide your national insurance number and evidence to show it belongs to you. If you not know your national insurance number, but you think you have one, you should provide evidence to help the office to find it. If you do not have a national insurance number, you will have to apply for one.

Your partner may have to attend an interview with a personal adviser as a condition of you getting Carer's Allowance.

Carer Premium

After you've made your claim for Carer's Allowance you might be able to claim a Carer Premium of £36 a week. This will be on top of any means-tested benefits you're already getting, including:

  • Council Tax Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

Speak to the Jobcentre about making a claim for Carer Premium.

Change of circumstances

Once you know about a change that might affect the amount of Carer's Allowance you get, tell the DWP as soon as you can.

The change might increase your payment and you might miss out on extra money if you tell the DWP late.

You should still tell the DWP if you think a change might reduce your payment - you won't save money by reporting it later. If you tell the DWP late you could get paid too much and have to pay your benefits back to the DWP. This is called an overpayment - check how the DWP deals with overpayments.

Civil penalties for causing an overpayment

In some cases, you may have to pay a civil penalty if you do something which causes an overpayment. This can happen if, for example, you give wrong information or you keep quiet about something, and as a result you get more Carer's Allowance than you're supposed to be getting. You can only be asked to pay this penalty if you haven't committed fraud. If you have committed fraud, different rules apply. You can appeal against a decision to impose a civil penalty.


You may commit a benefit fraud if you give incorrect or misleading information, or fail to report a change of circumstances which could affect your Carer’s Allowance, for example, you stop caring for the disabled person for as many hours each week.

Your circumstances can be checked at any time while you are claiming and fraud officers can also get information about you from other government agencies and from your employer, bank or utility companies. Benefit fraud is a criminal offence and you can be prosecuted or asked to pay a penalty. If you are being investigated for benefit fraud, your benefit will be suspended. If you committed benefit fraud, your benefit can be reduced or stopped in the future.

For more information on what to do if you are asked to attend an interview under caution, see Problems with benefits and tax credits.

How Carer’s Allowance is paid

Carer's Allowance is usually paid directly into a bank, building society or Post Office card account. If you cannot open or manage an account, you can be paid by Simple Payment. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will give you a Simple Payment card which you can use to collect your benefit at a PayPoint outlet displaying the Simple Payment sign.

Carer’s Allowance is paid as long as you continue caring for a disabled person for at least 35 hours a week and do not earn more than the earnings limit. It can continue regardless of your age although if you are getting certain other benefits, for example, the State Pension, this may affect whether you can get Carer’s Allowance as well.

If the person you are caring for goes into hospital, this may also affect your Carer’s Allowance.

Problems with Carer’s Allowance

If you are refused Carer’s Allowance or you think you are getting the wrong amount of benefit, you can challenge the decision. You should do this within one month of the decision.

If you are unhappy with the service you have received from the local benefits office or the DWP you can complain. This might be because of errors, delays, rudeness or difficulty getting in touch. You can do this whether or not you also want to challenge a decision.

For more information about challenging benefit decisions and about complaining, see Problems with benefits and tax credits.

Other help for carers

You can call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 for confidential information and advice. The helpline is open from 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and from 11am to 4pm at weekends. The helpline is closed on bank holidays.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.