Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How to claim PIP

This advice applies to Wales

Making a claim for the benefit Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can take a long time. It can often take up to 4 months from starting the application to getting your money (if you’re terminally ill your claim will be processed more quickly).

If you’re moving from DLA to PIP your payments won’t stop while you’re waiting for your PIP claim to be processed, as long as you make your claim for PIP within 28 days of being told by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that you should. Your PIP payments will start the day after your DLA payment stops. 

If you don't get DLA, your first payment for PIP will start from the date you make your claim. It will cover the length of time it takes the DWP to make its decision. PIP can't be backdated, so you won't get any money for the time before you make your claim. 

You should make sure you’re prepared and have all the relevant information to help you make your claim.

The claims process

There are 3 stages to your claim:

  1. Start your claim by contacting the DWP and filling in a form called the PIP1 form - you can do this on the phone
  2. Fill in the form they send you - this is called the PIP2 form
  3. Go to a face-to-face assessment - most people have to do this (but you won’t if you’re terminally ill)

It can take up to 2 weeks for the DWP to send you a PIP2 claim form. While you wait, it’s a good idea to think about how you’ll fill in the claim form and if you need any supporting evidence.

Send your PIP2 claim form back on time

If you don't send your form back on time, the DWP will end your claim and you'll have to start again.

If you can't return the form on time, find out how to ask the DWP if you can send it later.

If you’re waiting a long time for a decision about your claim, you can contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

You can complain to the DWP if the delay is unreasonable. You may be able to claim compensation if the delay is considered unlawful. However, there are no set rules about what is unreasonable or unlawful.

Start your claim - fill in a PIP1 form

You can start your PIP claim by filling in a PIP1 form. You can do this either:

  • by phone - a DWP adviser will fill in the PIP1 form during the call, it should take 20 minutes
  • by post - you can ask the DWP to send you a paper copy of the PIP1 form, then fill it in when it arrives and post it back

Worth knowing

It’s best to start your claim by phone because it’s quicker and your PIP payments usually start from when you make your claim - either the date you phone or the date the DWP receives your PIP1 form.

You can only get the PIP claim forms from the DWP, not online or from Citizens Advice.

If you have a condition that makes writing difficult, you can ask to have any future PIP forms emailed to you.

Basic information you need to start your claim

You’ll need to have this information when you call the DWP:

  • your full name, address and phone number
  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank or building society account details 
  • contact details of your GP or other health professionals you deal with
  • the dates and details of any stays in hospital or residential care
  • your nationality or immigration status
  • if you’ve been abroad for more than 4 weeks at a time in the last 3 years (you’ll need the dates and details)

You’ll be asked if you have any conditions relating to your mental health, a learning difficulty or behavioural condition. These questions are asked to check if you need any additional help or support with your claim.

I want to apply by phone

Personal Independence Payment claim line

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 917 2222

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Video relay - if you use British Sign Language (BSL).

You can find out how to use video relay on YouTube.

Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766

Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

It should take about 20 minutes to complete the call. If you’d prefer someone else to call for you that’s fine, but you need to be with them so you can give permission for them to speak for you.

I want to apply by post

It’s quicker to apply by phone, but if that isn’t possible you can write to the DWP and ask for a PIP1 form.

You’ll need to tell them why you (or someone else) can’t do the PIP1 form over the phone.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

I want to apply using British Sign Language (BSL)

You'll be connected to an interpreter by video link, who will relay what you're saying to a DWP adviser.

To use this you must:

first check if you can use this service
go to the video relay service

Open Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

Video from the DWP - Claiming Personal Independence Payment

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.