Your energy supplier has put its prices up

This advice applies to Wales. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland

If your gas or electricity supplier increases its prices, they should tell you in a reasonable amount of time before the change takes place. This is called giving you notice.

How much notice they give you will depend on your supplier - it could be between 3 and 10 days. You can find out how much notice your supplier will give by contacting them or checking your contract.

You should complain to your supplier if you think they haven’t given you reasonable notice.

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills or top up your prepayment meter you might be able to get extra help. Check if you can get grants and benefits to help pay your energy bills.

If you’re on a fixed tariff

Your supplier can’t increase the price you pay, unless the government has raised VAT.

Your energy bill can still go up and down. The amount you’re charged is set by the amount of energy you use, the unit cost and the daily fee. The unit cost of your energy and the daily fee are fixed.

If you’re not sure if you’re on a fixed tariff, check your bill. If it says your contract has an end date, this means you’re on a fixed tariff.

Fixed tariffs usually last for a year.

If your direct debit payments have increased

Your payments have probably gone up because you’re using more energy than your supplier expected. They’ll increase your monthly payments to make sure you’re paying for the amount of energy you use. The price of your energy and daily fee have stayed the same. 

Your supplier should give you reasonable notice of any changes to your direct debit payments. They should also explain why the change is necessary.

Find out about direct debit increases and what to do if you disagree.

When your fixed tariff ends

If your fixed tariff is coming to an end then you can choose to move onto your supplier’s default tariff - this will be the standard variable. Your supplier will automatically move you onto this tariff when the fixed deal has ended.

Your supplier should remind you when your contract is about to end.

If your fixed tariff has already ended, you can still switch supplier or tariff. Contact your supplier to ask about their other tariffs or check how to switch supplier.

You should complain to your supplier if they:

  • don’t remind you about the end of your contract

  • charge you a fee to switch supplier if your contract ends in the next 7 weeks

  • charge you an exit fee to switch supplier after they said you can switch

Check how to complain to your energy supplier.

If you’re struggling with living costs

If you’re struggling with money, there are things you can do to save on your regular living costs. Check what to do if you need help with living costs.

If you’re finding it hard to pay your bills, you can get help. Find out more about getting help with your bills.

You can also get help with debts.

If you're struggling to pay for food, find out how to get help from a food bank.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.