Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Citizens Advice response to Professor Hills’ interim review of fuel poverty

19 October 2011

Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:

"It’s horrifying that so many people are dying each year because they can’t afford to heat their home. Professor Hills is right to stick by the current principle that someone is in fuel poverty if they are on a low income in a home that is expensive to heat because it focuses attention on the right people. Today’s report is yet another reminder that fuel bills just have to come down."


  • If you are in fuel debt or worried about how to pay you energy bill you can get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.  We can help you make sure you're on the cheapest deal that your supplier provides, look at whether you would be better off switching suppliers, and advise on the help available for making your home more energy efficient.
  • If you're on a low income, you may be able to get a cold weather payment to help with your fuel costs during periods of cold weather.  
  • If you're receiving the guarantee part of Pension Credit, you may get £120 off your bills this winter. Older people will also get Winter Fuel Payments as usual.
  • The Energy Best Deal scheme, run by Citizens Advice and Ofgem, has produced six videos to help people cut with their fuel bills including shopping around and what to do if you’re struggling to pay.
  • You should make sure you're getting all the benefits and tax credits you're entitled to.

Notes to editors:

  1. The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
  2. The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
  3. To find your local bureau in England and Wales, visit You can also get advice online at
  4. You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06 or 03454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers
  5. Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.3 million clients on 5.4 million problems from October 2013 to September 2014. For full 2013/2014  service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends
  6. Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 21,000 trained volunteers, working at over 3,000 service outlets across England and Wales.