Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Letter from a tenant to the local authority for social housing tenants

This advice applies to England

If you've reported repair problems to your landlord and they haven't done anything, you may want to contact the local authority for help. You can use this letter to get in touch with the authority's Environmental Health department to tell them about the problems you're having.

This template is to be used for guidance and may not suit your specific situation. If you require more detailed advice and guidance, you can get more help.

Write letter

Example letter

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue

01632 960001

17 January 2023

Environmental Health Department

Giltham County Council

24 Station Road


GT16 3LP

To whom it may concern,

I am a tenant of the above address. My landlord is Bob James.

I contacted my landlord on 22 October 2022 about repair work needed in my home:

The gas central heating does not work and a leaking roof is causing damage to one of the bedroom ceilings near the electrical fitting.

My landlord has not done anything in response to my request. I am concerned about this because:

1) I'm worried that the water around the light could be dangerous.
2) My mother is in her late eighties and not having central heating is particularly bad for her health.

I would be grateful if you could please come and inspect the conditions in my home to determine if you can take any action under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 or the Housing Act 2004. Please contact me using my details at the top of this letter to arrange a suitable time to visit.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

Additional feedback