Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

ESA: Reporting changes

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

If there’s a change in your circumstances, you need to tell the Department for Communities (DfC) about it because it could affect your ESA.

You need to do this whether you’re in the support group or the work-related activity group.

The DfC needs to know about changes to do with your condition, for example if it:

  • gets better
  • gets worse
  • changes to another condition

They also need to know about any changes to your living arrangements. For example, if you:

  • move house
  • go into or leave hospital, prison or legal custody
  • go abroad or are about to go abroad

If you get income-related ESA you need to tell them if you:

  • start living with someone
  • have someone come to live in your house
  • get married or divorced
  • form or break up a civil partnership

You must also tell them about any changes to the money coming into or going out of your household. This includes things like if you or your partner start or stop getting a benefit, an allowance or a pension income, or if you or your partner start work.

There are lots of things that could affect your ESA and these are just some examples.

If you’re not sure whether the DfC needs to know something, it’s best to tell them anyway.

How to contact the DfC about changes

Contact the DfC about any changes.

When you get in touch, they’ll ask you for:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number

Employment and Support Allowance Centre
Telephone: 0800 587 1377
Textphone: 0800 328 3419
Lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.