Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Help with the cost of transport if you're disabled

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

You can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass or railcard if you have a condition that makes it hard to get around. You don’t need to have a physical health problem - people with learning disabilities can apply too. 

Someone else can apply on your behalf, if you need help with the application.

You’ll only need one pass - called a ‘Smartpass’ - to travel for free or half price by bus or train. 

Your nearest Citizens Advice can help you with the application if you need it. 

Getting a Smartpass

You’ll be able to travel by train or bus for free with a ‘Smartpass’ if you’re:

  • registered as blind
  • a war disablement pensioner

You’ll get half price travel if you:

  • get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • can’t get a driving licence because of a medical condition
  • have a learning disability
  • are partially sighted

You can find out what evidence you’ll need to show you’re eligible, and apply, on

If you can’t get a bus pass

You can visit your nearest Citizens Advice - an adviser will talk to you about your options. 

Other help you can get

If you’re eligible for a bus or rail pass, you might also be able to get:

  • a Blue Badge - to help you or someone who drives you around park moreconveniently

It’s also worth checking you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to - you can use our benefits checker to easily find out.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.