Extra money and help PIP entitles you to
If you get PIP you may be entitled to extra money on top of your existing benefits, a reduction in your rates or road tax bills and discounts on travel.
You’ll need your PIP award letter before you can apply for this extra help. This award letter is sometimes called a PIP award notice. It’s sent to you when the PIP Centre has made a decision on your PIP claim.
You may get a top-up (called a premium) on the following benefits if you get PIP:
- Housing Benefit
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
- Pension Credit - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
How to apply
Contact the office in charge of your benefits, tell them you’re getting PIP and ask them what other help this entitles you to. You may need to send them a copy of your PIP award letter. They can also tell you how much extra you’ll get.
Getting a disability premium will not reduce your PIP or any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to and apply for it.
It’s always a good idea to check you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to.
If you claim PIP for a child
If your child is getting PIP, is aged between 16 and 20 and is still in education or training, your Housing Benefit may increase.
How to apply
To check if you can get this help, contact your local Housing Benefit office and tell them your child is getting PIP. They’ll also be able to tell you how much the increase or discount will be.
When you get your PIP award letter, you can apply for a:
- Translink Smartpass - free or concessionary travel on buses and trains in Northern Ireland
- Blue badge - permission to park in disabled parking spots
- Road tax discount 50% - if you get the standard PIP mobility rate
- Road tax discount 100% - if you get the enhanced PIP mobility rate
- Road tax refund - if your vehicle is already taxed
You may also:
- be able to use the motability scheme if you get the enhanced PIP mobility rate
You can find more information about PIP on the government website at www.nidirect.gov.uk