Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Extra money and help PIP entitles you to

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

If you get PIP you may be entitled to extra money on top of your existing benefits, a reduction in your rates or road tax bills and discounts on travel.

You’ll need your PIP award letter before you can apply for this extra help. This award letter is sometimes called a PIP award notice. It’s sent to you when the PIP Centre has made a decision on your PIP claim.

Benefit top-ups

You may get a top-up (called a premium) on the following benefits if you get PIP:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
  • Pension Credit - but only if you get the PIP daily living component

How to apply

Contact the office in charge of your benefits, tell them you’re getting PIP and ask them what other help this entitles you to. You may need to send them a copy of your PIP award letter. They can also tell you how much extra you’ll get.

Getting a disability premium will not reduce your PIP or any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to and apply for it.

It’s always a good idea to check you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to.

If you claim PIP for a child

If your child is getting PIP, is aged between 16 and 20 and is still in education or training, your Housing Benefit may increase.

How to apply 

To check if you can get this help, contact your local Housing Benefit office and tell them your child is getting PIP. They’ll also be able to tell you how much the increase or discount will be.

Travel support

When you get your PIP award letter, you can apply for a:

You may also:

Further information

You can find more information about PIP on the government website at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.