Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Sending your PIP claim form

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

The PIP claim form is a really important part of your application because it’s your chance to show why your illness, health condition or disability means you should get Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

You’re sent the claim form by the PIP Centre. They'll send it to you in the post after you've phoned them to start your claim.

You must use the form they send you - you can’t get it online or pick one up from an advice centre. If you’re terminally ill, you won’t be sent a claim form because the claim process is different if you're terminally ill.

Before you fill in your form

Before you fill in your claim form, check our guidance on how to fill in the form properly. It explains what each question means, contains hints and sample answers and tells you what to write in your answers.

It's also a good idea to get someone to check over your claim form before you send it.

Keep a copy of your form

It’s a good idea to keep a copy of your completed form. You can then take it with you to your face to face consultation and use it to make sure that you don’t forget anything you want to mention at your consultation.

If you haven't got a copier, your local Citizens Advice or public library should be able to help you, but you might have to pay a small charge.

Deadline for sending your PIP form

You must send back the form within 1 month of the date on the letter from the PIP Centre that comes with your claim form. The actual deadline will be on the letter too.

If you miss the deadline, they will assume you no longer want to apply for PIP.

If you need more time

Contact the PIP claim line immediately and ask for an extension.

Personal Independence Payment claim line

Telephone: 0800 012 1573
Textphone: 0800 012 1574
Open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Calls are free from landlines and from mobiles

They will normally give you an extra two weeks over the phone. If you need more than this you will need a good reason. Unfortunately, there aren’t any rules on what counts as a good reason, but don’t let this put you off trying.

If you get an extension, it’s a good idea to write to the PIP Centre and confirm this. You should then send a copy of this letter with your PIP claim form. To help you, use this template letter to confirm to the PIP Centre that you have an extension.

If you don’t get an extension, you’ll have to start the claims process again from the beginning.

Worth knowing

Don’t delay sending your claim form if you’re waiting for the PIP Centre to approve an extension or for supporting documents (like a hospital or doctor’s letter). You should send the form so it’s on time and include a letter saying that you’re waiting for their response to your extension request or that more information will follow.

To help you, use this template letter to tell the PIP Centre that more information will follow to support your application.

Further information

You can find more information about PIP on the government website at

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.