Skip to content Skip to footer

The Benefit Cap

From 31 May 2016 in Northern Ireland, there is a limit on the amount of benefit you can receive if you're under the age for getting Pension Credit. This is called the Benefit Cap.

At first the Benefit Cap will only affect you if you're getting Housing Benefit. Later, it could also affect you if you are getting Universal Credit.  If the cap affects you, your benefit will go down.

If you want to speak to someone about changes to benefits, you can phone the independent welfare changes helpline for free on 0808 802 0020 or contact your local Citizens Advice.

What you need to know

What the Benefit Cap is, how much it is and how it might affect you if you are getting housing benefit or Universal Credit (UC).