Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Moving home – gas and electricity supplies

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

When you move to a new home, you will need to arrange for a final bill for your gas and electricity supply at your old home. You will then need to take over the existing supply in your new home or arrange to switch suppliers. There are some simple and important steps you need to take to make sure you get the right service.

This page explains what you need to do to get a final bill from your old home and take over the gas or electricity supply when you move into a new home.

Before you move home

Let your electricity and gas suppliers know that you're moving. You should give at least 48 hours notice. Read the meters on the day you move out and give the readings to the supplier. Keep a note of the readings and the dates you took them, in case you don't agree with your final bill. This also applies if you are a tenant or have a prepayment meter.

If possible, tell the people moving into your old home the name of the gas and electricity supplier. You could pass this information on through your estate agent, landlord or letting agent.

Think about who you want your supplier to be at your new home. If you want the supplier from your old home to supply your new home, tell them before you move. You'll also need to tell them if you want to stay on the same plan or tariff that you’re currently on.

If you decide to switch supplier, check with your existing supplier if you’re on a fixed term tariff, as you may be charged to end your contract early.

Give your old supplier a forwarding address so they can send you the final bill. You can also check that you're not owed any money if you're in credit.

If you move house without paying a bill, it becomes a debt after 28 days and the supplier may take further steps to recover the outstanding money you owe. Sometimes, the final bill from your old address can be delayed or your supplier may need to re-calculate it after they get your final meter reading.

As long as you confirmed with your supplier that you were moving and gave them a closing meter reading, you’re not responsible for energy used after the date you moved out.

After you move in

When you move into a new property, you will usually automatically get a supply with the existing supplier. This is called a deemed contract. They're usually the most expensive tariffs a supplier has on offer, so it is worth contacting the supplier as soon as possible to see if you can arrange a better price.

  • Contact the current supplier at your new property to tell them you've moved in
  • Read the meters on the day you move in and give the readings to the supplier, to make sure you get an accurate first bill and do not pay for the previous occupant’s electricity or gas. You are responsible for the bills on the day you take ownership or responsibility for the property, even if you don’t move in on that day
  • If you want to change supplier, you can ask for this on the day you become responsible for the property. Switching will normally take about 21 days
  • Check the meter type. If your new home has an economy 7 meter, you might need to check with your supplier to find out which readings are for day and night or how to use energy in the most efficient way.

If there's a prepayment meter

If the property that you move into is supplied by a prepayment meter for gas or electricity, you will need to get your own prepayment card or key from the supplier. Using the previous occupant’s prepayment or key means any money you pay will be credited to the previous occupant’s account.

If you want to change to a credit meter, you will need to talk to your supplier. Before they agree, the supplier may ask you to prove you are the new tenant or owner and check you don’t have outstanding debts to energy suppliers.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.