Your ex-partner is taking your children without consent - Citizens Advice Northern Ireland
Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Your ex-partner is taking your children without consent

This advice applies to Northern Ireland

You might be able to stop your ex-partner taking your children somewhere without your permission.

You need to act quickly - whether you think they’re going to be taken somewhere in the UK or abroad.

If you think they’re going to be taken to live abroad

You should get legal advice straight away - a solicitor will tell you what to do next.

You might be able to get legal aid to help with fees. Your nearest Citizens Advice can help you if you need it.

You can also contact Reunite, a charity which specialises in cases of child abduction to foreign countries.

If you think you're children will be taken out of the country in the next 48 hours, call the police on 999. 

If you can, hide their passports. If you don't have them, find out on GOV.UK if you can stop their passports.

What the police will do

The police can issue something called a ‘port alert’, which will stop the child being taken out of the country.

Try to gather any evidence you can that your partner is planning to take them abroad to show your solicitor and the police - for example texts, emails and tickets.

If they’re moving within the UK

If you can’t agree where your children will live, you could try mediation. A professional called a mediator will try and help you come to an agreement that works for your children.

You should make sure you have parental responsibility. All mothers and most fathers do. If you’re not sure, you can check if you have parental responsibility on GOV.UK and apply if you don't.

If you can’t agree

If you don't want your ex-partner to move your children away, you can apply to court for a ‘prohibited steps order’.

You’re only likely to get a prohibited steps order if you can show that your ex-partner is trying to move your children for a reason that’s not in their best interests - for example, to stop your children from seeing you.

You might be able to show this if they’ve tried to stop you from seeing your children in the past - for example, by cancelling arrangements you’ve made to spend time with them.

If you ex-partner can show that your children’s lives will be better because of the move, it’s more likely that the court will decide in their favour.

If you can, get advice before going to court. A solicitor will be able to tell you whether a court is likely to decide in your favour. You could also talk to an adviser at your local Citizens Advice.

You can apply for the order by filling in this form and sending it to your local court - find your nearest court.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.