Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get advice

This advice applies to Scotland

Get advice on any topic 

To get advice in your local area, find your nearest bureau on or use one of our specialist advice services.  

See what to bring to your Citizens Advice Bureau to help you get the most from your visit.

Tell the bureaux about any language or access requirements you have and they will do their best to accommodate them. 

Getting advice if you're deaf

ContactSCOTLAND offers a free, interpreting service that enables deaf, British Sign Language (BSL) users to contact public sector services in Scotland, including Citizens Advice Bureaux.

A BSL user can video call an interpreter at ContactSCOTLAND directly, who will then speak to the bureau adviser, and act as an intermediary for the deaf person.

More information about how the Video Relay Interpreting Service works can be found on the Contact SCOTLAND website.

How a bureau gives advice

Anyone can get free, impartial, confidential advice on any topic from the Citizens Advice Network. Because bureaux in our network are independent they provide advice in different ways to suit their communities, which might include:

  • phone 
  • email
  • webchat
  • face-to-face appointments
  • drop-in
  • outreach in community centres, libraries or GPs offices.

Get advice on specialist topics

Citizens Advice Scotland supports advice on some specialist topics. Find out how to get advice on a dedicated topic below. 

NHS complaints in Scotland

You can call the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) for advice and support on 0800 917 2127.

Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

You can find out more and use webchat on the PASS website

Advice for members of the armed services, veterans and their families

You can get specialist advice about issues like housing, benefits and debt from the Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) if you're:

  • serving in the Armed Forces, Regular or Reserve
  • ex–service, Regular or Reserve
  • a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations
  • a family member (dependant)

To get in touch with the Armed Services Advice Project you can:

  • call the helpline on 0808 800 1007
  • ask us to call you - use the Get Advice from ASAP form to send us your contact details, and a trained adviser will phone you
  • visit your local CAB

Find out more on the ASAP website.

Defined contribution pensions

Pension Wise is a free and impartial government service about the different ways you can take money from your pension. The service is only for people 50 years old or over with a defined contribution pension.

You can book an appointment to speak to someone over the phone or in person. 

For more information visit the Pension Wise website or phone 0800 138 3944 (or +44 20 3733 3495 if you’re outside the UK) to book an appointment.

You can also read our online advice on pensions, including the state pension.

EU citizens who need support to apply for Settled Status

EU Citizens Support is our new service for EU citizens who need extra support to apply for Settled Status. 

You might need more help if you:

  • have difficulty accessing an android mobile phone
  • have limited access to the internet
  • find it difficult to get the evidence you need to apply
  • are at greater risk due to personal circumstances
  • have specific immigration or residency issues

Find out how to contact our service on

Kinship care

If you're looking after a child because their parents can't you might be a kinship carer. Many aunts, uncles, grandparents and family friends are providing kinship care across Scotland. You might be entitled to extra support. Find out more about kinship care

Advisers at every Scottish bureau can provide detailed advice on kinship care.

If you can’t get to your local bureau, call the confidential Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland:

Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland
Helpline: 0808 800 0006 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
Email: contact form available on the website

Calls are free from landlines and most mobiles. Outside of operating times, please leave your contact details and a short message and you will be contacted within 24 hours, Monday to Friday.

Help to claim Universal Credit 

We can help if you're claiming Universal Credit for the first time.

Find out more about how to get help by web chat, phone or in-person on

Money advice 

If you’re struggling to make your money last or are worried about how you’ll pay your bills, you can get a free Financial Health Check, to help ensure you are receiving all the money you're entitled to.

The advisers will check for you whether you’re getting as much income as you possibly could and find ways that you could pay out less each month.

If you have any money worries, or want to find out if you are missing out on money you're entitled to, the advisers will talk you through your options and help you find the best way forward.

To get your free Financial Health Check call 0800 085 7145 or call/ drop in to your local bureau.

You can find more information on the Financial Health Check website.

Other organisations that give advice

These are some of the other organisation who give advice on:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.