Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How to apply for a Best Start Grant payment

This advice applies to Scotland

You should first check that you are eligible for any of the three Best Start Grant payments, the Pregnancy and Baby Payment, the Early Learning Payment or the School Age Payment.

You can apply:

  • online – on the website
  • by phone – by phoning Social Security Scotland
  • by post – application forms are available to download on the website or you can phone Social Security Scotland and ask for one to be posted to you.

Social Security Scotland’s contact details are:

Social Security Scotland - Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods
PO Box 10300

Tel: 0800 182 2222

You can apply for more than one payment at the same time. For example, if you have a baby of four months old and a child of two and a half, then you can apply for the Pregnancy and Baby Payment as well as the Early Learning Payment. If you're applying by filling out a form, either online or on paper, you only need to fill out the one form to apply for both payments.

If you missed the time limit for applying because you were waiting for a decision about a benefit that you applied for, you might be able to make a late application. You will need to have been awarded that benefit for at least one day within the application window. Read more about late applications on the page of the payment you are applying for, the Pregnancy and Baby Payment, the Early Learning Payment or the School Age Payment.

Gather everything you’ll need to apply

Getting all your details together will make it easier to apply.

You’ll need details of:

  • your National Insurance number
  • other benefits – the name of the other benefits that you or your partner get
  • your partner - if you have a partner, you’ll need their date of birth and National Insurance number
  • your due date - if you’re pregnant
  • your children – the dates of birth of any children under 16 in your household
  • your bank details – the name on the account, the name of the bank, building society or credit union, the sort code, account number, and the building society or credit union reference number if you have one. 

Your National Insurance number

You can find your National Insurance number on a payslip or letter from HM Revenue and Customs - call the National Insurance helpline if you can’t find it.

HM Revenue and Customs National Insurance Helpline for employees and individuals
Tel: 0300 200 3500 (Monday to Friday, from 8.00am to 5.00pm, Saturday from 8.00am to 4.00pm)
Textphone: 0300 200 3519
Tel from outside UK: +44 191 203 7010

If you don’t have one, apply for a National Insurance number on GOV.UK.

If you don’t have a bank account

You'll need to apply by phone or by using a paper form.

If you don’t have access to a bank account, the Best Start Grant payment can be made to a Post Office Card Account or in i-Movo vouchers. In this case you will need to apply on the phone or using the paper form only, not online.

Read more about getting a bank account.

Evidence you'll have to send with your application

You may not have to send in any evidence with your application if Social Security Scotland is able to check your details from other sources. This might be the case if you have already registered for the Baby Box or you are getting Child Benefit, for example.

You might have to send in some evidence depending on your circumstances. The types of evidence you might have to give include:

  • proof that you are pregnant – if you haven't registered for the Baby Box, such as a maternity certificate
  • proof that you are responsible for the child – if you don't get a benefit for the child you are applying for, such as a kinship care order
  • proof of residence in Scotland – if you are not on a qualifying benefit, such as a utility bill or a council tax bill
  • proof of housing benefit – such as a letter from a local authority.

When you apply, you will be told what evidence you need to send with your application. If you apply either online or by post, the application form will tell you what you need to send. If you apply by phone, the adviser will tell you.

You should send a copy of your evidence to Social Security Scotland, not the original document.

If you have had a hard copy of the application form sent to you it will come with a pre-paid envelope for you to use to send in your evidence. If you haven’t got a pre-paid envelope you can phone Social Security Scotland and ask for one.

Once you have applied for a Best Start Grant payment, Social Security Scotland may contact you to ask for more evidence if they need it.

Getting someone else to apply for you

Usually if you are the person who is responsible for the child or you are pregnant, then you can apply for a Best Start Grant payment. Your partner can apply as well.

For the Pregnancy and Baby Payment, if you are a young parent (aged under 18, 18 or 19), you can choose if you want your parent or carer to apply.

If you are unable to claim yourself, because you have a mental illness or a learning disability for example, you can arrange for someone else to apply for you. If you don’t have a partner and you aren’t a young parent applying for the Pregnancy and Baby Payment, you can arrange for a friend or relative to do this for you. There is a section in the application form that your friend or relative should complete to say that they are filling out the form for you.

Read our page about getting someone else to manage your affairs. 

If you need more help to apply or with other issues to do with benefits, you can get advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau, see our get advice page.

How long will it take to get the payment

Social Security Scotland aim to process applications within 10 working days.

If you're awarded the payment

Social Security Scotland will send you a letter to let you know what they have decided (this is called a 'determination') and what you will be paid.

The money will be paid directly into your bank account if you have one. If you don’t, it will be paid in the same way as you get your other benefits.

If Social Security Scotland made a mistake

If Social Security Scotland made a mistake when it was processing your application, you can ask it to correct the mistake. For example, Social Security Scotland might have wrongly decided that you weren't entitled to an Early Learning Payment or that you were only entitled to a lower rate of the Pregnancy and Baby Payment.

You don't have to formally ask Social Security Scotland to look again at the decision (called a 're-determination'). Although if Social Security Scotland doesn't agree that it made a mistake, then you will need to ask for a re-determination. Read our information about challenging a decision.

If you're refused the payment

If Social Security Scotland decides that you are not entitled to a payment, you will get a letter telling you the reasons for the decision.

If you don't agree with the decision, you can ask for Social Security Scotland to look at it again. This is called a 're-determination'. Read our information about challenging a decision.

Giving incorrect information to Social Security Scotland  

If you deliberately give incorrect or incomplete information on your application form, you are committing a criminal offence for which you could be prosecuted.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.