Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Reducing your regular living costs

This advice applies to Scotland

If you’re struggling with money, there are steps you can take to save on your regular living costs. You might be able to save money by:

  • getting a discount on your council tax
  • switching to a cheaper deal for your gas and electricity
  • getting a water meter fitted
  • switching to a cheaper broadband, TV, or phone deal
  • getting cheaper travel

You can get advice from the Money Talk Team by calling 0800 085 7145 or going to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Find out more on the Money Talk Team website.

Check if you can pay less council tax

You might be able to get money off your council tax - either Council Tax Reduction or a discount.

Find out if you can get Council Tax Reduction

If you’re on a low income or claim benefits, you might be able to get Council Tax Reduction.

Each local council runs its own scheme, so what you can get depends on where you live. Find out more about Council Tax Reduction.

Find out if you can get a discount

You might be able to get a council tax discount for your property - for example if:

  • no one lives there
  • you live alone
  • you live alone apart from a live-in care worker
  • people you live with are full-time students or apprentices
  • someone you live with has a severe mental disability
  • you need a bigger property because someone has a disability

Find out more about getting a council tax discount.

Saving money on your gas and electricity

You might be able to save money on your energy bills by switching to a better deal. You could stay with your current supplier or switch to a new one.

Use our price comparison tool to compare deals and prices. If you’re in debt to your energy supplier you’ll need to follow a different process for switching.

Making your home more energy efficient

You might be able to cut your energy bills by installing insulation, glazing or a more efficient heating system in your home.

If you're on a low income you might be able to get help with the cost of making improvements. Check the energy grants calculator on GOV.UK.

Check if you could save money on your water bills

You might be able to pay less for your water if you don’t have to pay council tax, or if you get a Council Tax Reduction or discount. Find out about help paying water charges.

You’ll only pay for the water you use if you have a water meter. Find out about getting a water meter on the Scottish Water website.

If you’ve got children in school

If you’re on a low income or claim certain benefits, you might be able to get help with the costs of sending your children to school.

You could get:

  • free school meals
  • free transport to school
  • a grant to help to buy school uniforms
Find out more about getting help with school costs.

Switch to a cheaper broadband, phone or TV deal

You might be able to save money by switching to a different broadband, phone or TV provider.

Check your terms and conditions before you switch. If you’re part way through a fixed-term contract you might have to pay to leave early - this is called an ‘exit fee’. Exit fees can be expensive and it might be better to wait until the end of the contract before switching.

Read more about finding a cheaper deal.

If you’re getting benefits

Ask your provider if they can offer you cheaper phone or broadband. You can find out how to contact your provider on their website.

You can switch to BT’s Home Essentials plan if you get any of the following and you don’t live in Hull:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit - you must get the Guarantee Credit element
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

If you’re already a BT customer you can still switch to Home Essentials. You can find out more about BT Home Essentials on the BT website. 

If you live in Hull, you might be able to get cheap phone calls and broadband with KCOM's Flex Packages. You can find out more about Flex Packages on the KCOM website.

Check if you can pay less for your TV licence

If you can’t afford to pay for a TV licence up front you can pay weekly, fortnightly, monthly or every 3 months. You won’t save money but spreading the cost will make payments more manageable.

Read more about different ways to pay on the TV Licensing website.

If you don’t watch live TV and don’t use the BBC iPlayer you might not have to pay for a licence. Check if you have to pay on the TV Licensing website.

Check if you can get a free TV licence

You might be able to get a free TV licence if someone in your household gets Pension Credit.

To get the discount, both of the following must apply to the licence holder:

  • they’re 75 years or older
  • they get Pension Credit or have a partner living at the same address who does

Apply for a TV licence at TV Licensing.

If you’re registered blind

You can get a 50% discount on your TV licence if you’re registered blind, or live with someone who is. Check how to apply for the discount on GOV.UK.

If you’re in residential care

You can get a licence for £7.50 if you’re in residential care and either:

  • over 60 and retired
  • disabled

Ask your housing manager to apply for you.

Saving money on travel costs

You might be able to spend less on travel costs by:

  • shopping around for cheaper car insurance
  • buying a season ticket for the train or bus if you travel regularly
  • applying for a railcard

Find out about saving on car and travel costs on the Money Advice Service website.

Applying for an older person’s bus pass

You might be able to get a bus pass for free travel. The age you can get one depends on where you live and when you were born.

Check if you can get an older person’s bus pass on GOV.UK.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.