Skip to content Skip to footer

ESA: Reporting changes to the DWP

This advice applies to Wales

If there’s a change in your circumstances, you need to tell the DWP about it because it could affect your ESA.

You need to do this whether you’re in the support group or the work-related activity group.

The DWP need to know about changes to do with your condition, for example if it:

  • gets better
  • gets worse
  • changes to another condition

They also need to know about any changes to your living arrangements. For example, if you:

  • move house
  • go into or leave hospital, prison or legal custody
  • go abroad or are about to go abroad

If you get income-related ESA you need to tell the DWP if you:

  • start living with someone
  • have someone come to live in your house
  • get married or divorced
  • form or break up a civil partnership

You must also tell the DWP about any changes to the money coming into or going out of your household. This includes things like if you or your partner start or stop getting a benefit, an allowance or a pension income. Or if you or your partner start work.

There are lots of things that could affect your ESA and these are just some examples.

If you’re not sure whether the DWP need to know something, it’s best to tell them anyway.

How to contact the DWP about changes

Call Jobcentre Plus to tell the DWP about any changes.

When you get in touch, they’ll ask you for:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number

Jobcentre Plus
Telephone: 0345 608 8545
Textphone: 0345 608 8551
Welsh language telephone: 0345 600 3018
Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.