Letter to complain about your energy supply being switched without your agreement

This advice applies to Wales. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland

If you were transferred to a new energy supplier without agreeing to it, you have rights under the 'Erroneous Transfer Charter'. Put your complaint in writing to make sure you get your supply returned to your original supplier.

This is an example letter and may not suit your specific situation.

If you need more detailed advice and guidance, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline.

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

British Power

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

17 July 2024

Type of supply: Dual fuel

Account number: A632145

Reference number: JH556612

Gas meter serial number: G1 A0123456

Electricity meter serial number: L12E01234

To whom it may concern,

Re: Complaint about erroneous transfer

I am writing to you as my energy supply has been transferred to a new supplier without my consent. I would like you to take back my supply and bill me as if I never left, as provided for in the Erroneous Transfer Charter.

The supplier who has taken over my supply is Western Energy.

Please address and respond to the points below, including any other information you feel would be relevant to help resolve this complaint. 

Please apply to have my supply returned as an erroneous transfer and ensure that the account continues to be billed as if I never left. Additionally, please resolve any errors on the distributor's database that could lead to this problem reoccurring.

Please reply in writing within 5 working days.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.