Letter to complain about energy mis-selling

This advice applies to Wales. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland

If you're having problems about how you were sold gas or electricity and you're not getting your issue dealt with, you can put your complaint in writing and request a resolution to the problem. You can contact your old or new supplier. If you're not happy and the contract was signed 14 days ago, you can get the contract cancelled with your new supplier.

This is an example letter and may not suit your specific situation.

If you need more detailed advice or guidance, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline.

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

British Power

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

17 July 2024

Type of supply: Dual fuel

Account number: A632145

Reference number: JH556612

To whom it may concern,

Re: Mis-selling complaint

I am writing about an energy contract that I feel I have been mis-sold.

In my opinion, I was mis-sold the contract because: I was told the tariff price was cheaper than our current suppliers but this isn’t the case. I agreed to the contract on 10 June and found this out a week later.

Please reply in writing within 10 working days.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.