Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Benefits being replaced by Universal Credit

This advice applies to England

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Housing Benefit
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

If you're thinking of claiming one of these benefits for the first time, you might need to apply for Universal Credit instead. It depends where you live - check if you can apply.

If you’re getting any of these benefits, you don’t need to do anything until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) gets in touch.

There’ll usually be a gap between your existing benefits stopping and your first Universal Credit payment - you can ask for an advance payment of Universal Credit if you need help.

Food banks and help with other emergency expenses

If you don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment, you can get emergency help with things like food or items you need for your house - for example a bed or cooker.

See food banks and other crisis help in your area for how to apply.

If you move in with a partner who gets Universal Credit

You'll have to make a joint claim for Universal Credit as a couple. This means that if you're claiming any of the benefits Universal Credit replaces, you'll need to stop and claim Universal Credit instead.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.