Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How the minimum income floor works if you're self-employed

This advice applies to England

Coronavirus - changes to the minimum income floor

The amount of Universal Credit you’ll get will be based on your actual earnings. The minimum income floor won’t be used to work out how much you’ll get.

You should check if you can claim Universal Credit before applying.

Your work coach can remove or reduce your minimum income floor. Tell your work coach if you’re:

  • staying at home because of coronavirus

  • having trouble getting work because of coronavirus

Tell your work coach by making a note in your online account on GOV.UK.

Your Universal Credit payment will change each month depending on your earnings and other circumstances. How much you get also depends on whether you're in a couple or have children.

You won't be able to find out exactly how much Universal Credit you could get each month. If you want to get a rough idea, you can use the entitledto benefits calculator.

When the DWP work out your Universal Credit payment each month, they'll compare your real earnings with how much they expect you to earn each month - this expected amount is called your 'minimum income floor'. The DWP take this into account when working out your Universal Credit payment.

The minimum income floor doesn't apply to everyone. If it doesn't apply to you, your payments will be based on what you actually earn through self-employment.

If you’re applying for Universal Credit and need help making your claim, you can talk to an adviser

Check if the minimum income floor applies

The minimum income floor will only apply if you’re in both: 

  • ‘gainful self-employment’ - this means being self-employed is your main job, you work regularly and expect to make a profit

  • the 'all-work-related requirements group' - this means you're expected to work or look for work

You’re not in the all-work-related requirements group if:

  • you look after a child under 3
  • you're pregnant and it’s not more than 12 weeks until your due date 
  • you've given birth in the last 15 weeks
  • you're caring for a severely disabled person
  • you've been assessed as having limited capability for work or limited capability for work-related activity
  • you're in full-time education
  • you're of pension age
  • you've adopted a child and still in the first 12 months since the adoption
  • you're a foster parent of a child under 16
  • you're a carer for a friend of family member
  • you're under threat of domestic violence or recently have been

When the DWP says you’re in gainful self-employment, they won’t use the minimum income floor to work out your payments for 12 months. This is known as a ‘start-up period.’ You’ll only have a start-up period if you’re in gainful self-employment.

You won’t have a start-up period if either:

  • the minimum income floor was previously used to work out your earnings for the same self-employed work 

  • you’ve already had a start-up period - for the same business or any other business you’ve had in the last 5 years 

You'll need to try to build your business up as much as possible during the start-up period. You can find out how to do this on GOV.UK 

If you're temporarily too sick to work

The minimum income floor might not be applied while you're too sick to work.

If you're too sick to work and it affects your ability to make a profit, call the DWP to let them know. Depending on the circumstances and length of time you're expected to be sick, they might reassess your gainful self-employment status.

If you're not in gainful self-employment, the DWP can't apply the minimum income floor to your earnings and your Universal Credit payment should be higher.

If you're off sick for 7 days or more, you'll have to get a medical certificate, sometimes called a 'fit note', from your doctor. Send it to your work coach at your local Jobcentre. Take a photo or copy of your medical certificate before you send it.

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344
Telephone (Welsh language): 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Calls to these numbers are free. 


Greta has a business selling clothes at the market. The minimum income floor applies to her earnings.

She has to take time off for an operation. She doesn't close her business down because she plans to return to work.

While Greta is in hospital her profits go down because she isn't selling her stock.

She sends fit notes to the DWP and asks them not to treat her as being in gainful self-employment while she can't work. The DWP agree she can't work and don't apply the minimum income floor for that period.

When she goes back to work, she lets the DWP know and they start applying the minimum income floor to her earnings again.

Each case is assessed by individual circumstances and this is just one example of what might happen. If it's a short term illness the DWP might also consider this to be part of your normal pattern of self-employment and say you are still in 'gainful self-employment'. 

If the minimum income floor doesn't apply to you 

Your payments will be based on what you actually earn through self-employment instead.

If the DWP apply the minimum income floor when they shouldn't, you might be able to challenge their decision.

If you have a long term illness or become disabled

If you can’t work because of a long term illness or you become disabled as a result of an illness or injury, the DWP could say you:

  • won't have to work or do anything to prepare for work - called having 'limited capability for work-related activity' (LCWRA)
  • won't have to work, but you might have to do some regular tasks to get ready for work - called having 'limited capability for work' (LCW)

There are some treatments and conditions where you'll have LCW or LCWRA applied automatically. For example, if you are having weekly dialysis, plasma exchange or intravenous feeding you’re likely to have LCW. For chemotherapy, radiotherapy or if you have a terminal illness, you’re likely to have LCWRA. You can find out more about getting Universal Credit if you're sick or disabled.

If you have LCW or LCWRA you’ll no longer be in gainful self-employment and the minimum income floor won’t apply.

How the minimum income floor affects your payment

The minimum income floor is how much the DWP expect you to earn each month - it's not the same as what you actually earn. The amount is different for each person, because not everyone is expected to work the same number of hours.

How the minimum income floor is worked out

The DWP multiply the national minimum wage with the number of hours you agreed to work when you first met your work coach. This is in your written agreement called a 'claimant commitment'.


Lorna is 31 and works as a self-employed cleaner. She's a single parent with a 7 year old child.

As part of her claimant commitment she's expected to work 25 hours a week. The minimum wage for her age group is £8.91 an hour.

Her minimum income floor is:

£8.91 x 25 hours = £222.75 per week

£222.75 x 52 weeks = £11,583 per year

This is converted to a monthly figure by dividing £11,583 by 12.

The DWP take off an amount for National Insurance - £27.26. They don't take off anything for tax because her income is below the tax threshold.

Her monthly minimum income floor is £965.25 - £27.26 = £937.99.

If you earn more than your minimum income floor

Your payment will be worked out according to your actual earnings. You'll be better off than if you'd earned less than the minimum income floor.

The more you earn over the minimum income floor, the less your Universal Credit payment will be. The basic rule is for every extra £1 you earn, your Universal Credit will go down by 63p.

If you earn less than your minimum income floor

Your payment will be worked out as if you'd earned the minimum income floor amount.

This means that although your earnings are low, your Universal Credit payment won't be topped up. You might have to find other work to increase your income.


Nadia is 22, single and works as a self-employed painter. She's expected to work 35 hours a week. This is used to calculate Nadia's expected monthly income, using the minimum wage for her age group of £8.36:

35 hours x £8.20 = £292.60 per week

£292.60 x 52 weeks = £15,215.20 per year

£15,215.20 ÷ 12 months = £1,267.93 per month

The DWP take off £92.95 for tax and National Insurance.

This would make Nadia's expected monthly income, after deductions, £1,174.98 per month - this is her minimum income floor.

During January, Nadia earns £200.

Her Universal Credit payment is worked out using her minimum income floor of £1,174.98 per month.

This means her Universal Credit payment is lower than what she needs to cover her costs.

If your client's made a loss

Your client should record their income as nil but the DWP will still apply the minimum income floor if it applies to them.

When your client reports their monthly earnings, the DWP should automatically carry forward their loss into the next assessment period. This means your client's Universal Credit payments might be more for the following month.


John is a taxi driver.

In January he earns £500 from his business and pays £1000 for new equipment.

His self-employed earnings are nil and he has a loss of £500.

The loss of £500 can be deducted from his profits in February, during the next assessment period.

In February, he earns £1000 from his business. The DWP deduct the loss of £500 from the previous assessment period. This reduces his income for February to £500.

If you're in a couple

Each month, the DWP will look at both your earnings when deciding whether to apply the minimum income floor to work out your payment.

The DWP will apply the minimum income floor if both these apply:

  • the earnings of the self-employed are lower than their individual minimum income floor
  • the combined earnings of the couple are lower than the couple's minimum income floor

Once the minimum income floor is applied, there are extra steps the DWP take to work out your 'earnings' and payment. This is a complicated calculation.

Example - how the DWP work out a couple's payment

Guy is a self-employed window cleaner. He's married to Laura who works full-time for an employer. They're both expected to work 35 hours a week.

Guy's individual minimum income floor is £1091.07 per month.

The couple's joint minimum income floor is £1091.07 x 2 = £2182.14 a month.

Guy only has earnings of £500 a month.

Laura's earnings are £1200 a month.

Guy and Laura's individual earnings and joint earnings are below the minimum income floor so the minimum income floor is applied when working out their payments.

The DWP calculates Guy's earnings as follows:

Guy has real earnings of £500, but the DWP treat his earnings as £1091.07 because that's his minimum income floor.

These are added to Laura's earnings of £1200:

£1200 + £1091.07 = £2291.07.

Their joint earnings are £108.93 above the couple's minimum income floor of £2182.14.

The DWP take away £108.93 from Guy's individual minimum income floor.

£1091.07 - £108.93 = £982.14.

Guy will be treated as having earnings of £982.14 for this assessment period.

If your client's in a couple

For more about how the minimum income floor is applied to couples see CPAG 2020/21 edition, Chapter 7 'Universal Credit income' page 122.

Reporting your monthly earnings

You'll have to report your earnings every month to the DWP.

Find out what earnings to report and how to do it.

Managing your income and expenses from month to month

If your earnings change each month, your Universal Credit payment will also change. This can make it hard to budget. You should try to make your income and spending similar each month.

You can ask HMRC if you can pay income tax and National Insurance monthly instead of annually - this is called a 'budget payment plan'.

Find out more ways to keep your self-employed income and expenses more consistent on the Money Advice Service website.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.