If there's a child protection plan for your child

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

After a child protection conference, the people who were there will make a plan to protect your child - this is called a ‘child protection plan’. Check who can go to a child protection conference.

You’ll get a copy of the plan from a social worker. If the plan changes later, you should get copies of the changes.

Check what’s in the child protection plan

The child protection plan includes:

  • the reason why your child needs a plan

  • what you should do to make sure your child is protected

  • what help you’ll get from social workers at your local council

  • what will happen if you don’t follow the plan

  • who you can contact for more information

The plan will include any important dates - for example child protection review conferences, to see how things are going. These will take place every 3 to 6 months if social workers think they’re needed.

Ending a child protection plan

The child protection plan ends when one of the following happens:

  • the people who made the plan decide your child is no longer suffering or at risk of significant harm

  • your child reaches the age of 18

  • your child moves abroad

If you’re moving to a different local council area

Contact the local council where your new home is. Tell them you're moving into the area and your child has a child protection plan. This will make sure your child still gets the protection they need after you move. 

The local council will arrange a child protection conference to decide what happens next.

If the child protection plan isn’t working

If the people who made the plan think it isn’t enough to keep your child safe, your local council might apply to the court for a care order. If they get a care order your child might be taken into care. 

You can find out about what will happen if the local council applies for a care order.

If you’re unhappy with the child protection plan

You should talk to a social worker about why you’re unhappy with the child protection plan.

You might be unhappy about a child protection plan because you think:

  • your child doesn't need a plan

  • it shouldn’t cover the things that are in it

  • it doesn’t include services that your family needs

If you’re still unhappy after talking to a social worker, you should get legal advice from a specialist

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.

Page last reviewed on 02 July 2020