Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Challenging a benefit decision

If you don't agree with a decision on your benefit, you may want to see if you can get it changed.

These pages tell you more about what to do if your benefit decision is refused or you think the amount you're getting is wrong.

This information does not apply to decisions made on claims for tax credits, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

Challenging a benefit decision - where to start

What you need to know before challenging a decision about a benefit paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Universal Credit - challenging a benefit decision if you've been sanctioned

Challenging a decision when you've been sanctioned.

Challenging a Social Security Scotland decision

Information about challenging a benefit decision made by Social Security Scotland or further appealing it to the First-tier Tribunal (Social Security Chamber).