If you've been refused a Blue Badge

This advice applies to Scotland. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Wales

If you’ve been refused a Blue Badge, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by the council.

It's worth doing this if you can't walk more than 80 metres - about the length of 7 double decker buses, or if you can't use a parking meter because of problems with your arms. 

If you already have a Blue Badge and have been refused a renewal, if it's still valid you can use it until you get the result of your review.

If you’ve had your badge taken away

You can follow these steps to ask for it back - for example, if it’s been taken away because you've misused it or because you’ve moved from DLA to PIP and no longer automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.

Respond to your decision letter

You should reply to the address given on the letter within 28 days.

You can get help with writing your response from your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you’ve been accused of misusing your badge

You should write to Transport Scotland instead of your council.

Transport Scotland

Buchanan House

58 Port Dundas Road


G4 0HF

What to write

Your letter will explain why your application was rejected.

An application is often rejected because:

  • you don't automatically qualify for a blue badge - and the discretionary reasons for getting one don't apply to you

  • you've not paid the fee, if there is one

  • you've misused a Blue Badge in the past – and have a conviction for doing so

  • your local council thinks you would let someone else use your Blue Badge

  • you already have a valid badge from another local council

Write back, asking for a review of the decision.

Explain why the reasons listed on your letter are wrong, in as much detail as you can.

Include any details you might have missed the first time. For example, if you have mobility problems, explain why using parking meters is painful or why it’s difficult for you to walk very far to get from your car to a shop.

Include scans, copies or photographs of any evidence you have, for example:

  • a letter from your doctor, physiotherapist or another medical expert

  • proof of your address, such as energy or council tax bills - if your local council  don’t think you really live in the area

  • proof of your identity with your picture on it, such as a passport - if your council doesn’t believe you’re the person you say you are

Read our advice on applying for a Blue Badge if you’re not sure what to write - it’ll help you give the right information about your condition.

You should get a response in writing within 28 days. 

If your application was rejected because you’ve misused a badge

It’s still worth asking for a review if you broke the rules because of a situation out of your control. Explain what happened in as much detail as you can.

Make a complaint

You can make a complaint if your local council refuse to review their decision, or if you’re unhappy with the way your application has been dealt with.

You can find out how to make a complaint on you local council's website. You can find your local council website on mygov.scot.

Contact the ombudsman

If you’re not happy with the response to your complaint, you can phone or write to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

They’ll take another look at your application, and decide whether your local council made the wrong decision.

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman 

Freepost SPSO - this is all you need to write, and you don't need a stamp

Telephone: 0800 377 7330

Monday and Wednesday 2pm to 4pm, Tuesday and Thursday 10am to 12pm and Friday 11am to 1pm.

Calls are free.