Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Your small business can't afford its energy bills

This advice applies to Scotland

If you can’t pay your supplier

If you've been told you'll be disconnected call the consumer helpline. They can help you resolve the problem with your supplier.

Coronavirus - if you can’t pay your business’s energy bills

Contact your supplier as soon as possible if you’re struggling to pay your business’s energy bills because of coronavirus. They might be able to pause or reduce your repayments, or stop you from getting disconnected.

You’ll find your supplier’s contact details on their website or on your bill.

Your business might also be able to get financial help:

Check the Find Business Support website for the latest financial support available to businesses during coronavirus.

If you have a small business or you’re self employed you can get free debt advice from Business Debtline

There are steps you can take if you're finding it hard to pay your small business's energy bills.

What you should do depends on if:

  • you're already in debt to your supplier
  • you've been sent a bill you can't afford
  • you're regularly struggling to pay your bills

If you're in debt to your energy supplier

It's important to act quickly - your energy supply could be disconnected within 30 days if you don't make arrangements to deal with the debt.

If you're disconnected, you'll normally have a disconnection fee added to the money you owe. You'll need to pay another fee if you're reconnected.

If you've had a bill you can't afford

If you think the bill is wrong you should challenge it - call your supplier and ask how it's been calculated.

If the bill is right but you can't pay it, ask if you can arrange a payment plan. Work out a budget before you call so you know you can afford the payments.

Check you haven't been overcharged

If you're a 'microbusiness' you can only be billed for energy you've used in the last 12 months.

Your company will normally count as a microbusiness if it either:

  • has fewer than 10 employees or turns over less than £1.8 million a year
  • uses no more than 100,000 kWh of electricity
  • uses no more than 293,000 kWh of gas per year

Check your bill or ask your supplier if you're not sure how much energy you use per year.

If you think you've been overcharged, call your energy supplier and complain.

Explain that because you're a microbusiness you can't be billed for energy used more than 12 months ago.

If you're struggling to pay your bills

If you often find it hard to pay your energy bills there are things you can do to try to reduce them.

Switch supplier

Check if you can switch to a different energy supplier - you'll normally pay less for your energy if you switch.

Make sure you're being billed accurately

If your supplier is estimating your bills you might be paying more than you need to each month.

Take regular meter readings and send them to your supplier. Set up a monthly reminder on your phone or calendar so you don't forget.

It's worth asking if your supplier can take other steps to keep your bills accurate - for example, by giving you a smart meter.

Make your business energy efficient

There are ways to reduce how much electricity and gas you use - for example, you can:

  • switch off computers and other equipment overnight if they aren't being used
  • use energy efficient light bulbs
  • make sure your premises are insulated against drafts
  • only use as much hot water as you need and fix any leaking hot taps

If you need more help

If you need more advice about dealing with your energy bills, you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Advice Direct Scotland's energy advice service. 

Advice Direct Scotland energy advice

Freephone: 0808 196 8660

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.