Report fake or counterfeit goods

This advice applies to Scotland. See advice for See advice for England, See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Wales

You have the legal right to a refund if you’ve bought something that’s fake or counterfeit.

You can also report the seller to Trading Standards or report the seller for fraud. Trading Standards might take legal action against the seller, but they can’t help you to get your money back.

Getting a refund from the seller

You’re legally entitled to a full refund on fake goods within 30 days of paying for them.

If it’s been over 30 days but less than 6 months since you paid

The seller is legally able to give you a real version of the item to replace the fake one. However, if they can’t provide a replacement, they’re legally required to give you a refund (up until 6 months after you paid for it).

What to say or write


“I have a right to a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, because this item doesn’t match its written/verbal description”.

If you paid for the item more than 6 months ago

You’re entitled to a part-refund depending on how much you’ve used the item and how long you’ve had it. It’s harder to do this after 6 months as you could be asked to prove that the item is a fake - try talking to the real brand and asking them to inspect it.

Your consumer rights last for up to 6 years, depending on the quality and standard of the item when you bought it. This means you don’t have the right to ask for a refund after 6 years.

If the seller refuses to give you a refund

Sometimes sellers argue that items were obviously fake because they were very cheap. They can say you must have known it wasn’t the real thing and use that as a reason not to give your money back. However, they’re breaking the law by selling fake items and your legal rights still apply.

If you need more help finding out how to get your money back, you can contact your local Citizens Advice bureau or Advice Direct Scotland's consumer service. 

If you paid by debit card

Contact your bank and say you want to use the ‘chargeback scheme’

If you paid by credit card

If the item cost less than £100, you should contact your credit card company and say you want to use the ‘chargeback scheme’

If the item cost between £100 and £30,000, contact your credit card company and say that you want to make a ‘section 75’ claim to get your money back.

If you paid using PayPal

Use PayPal’s online Resolution Centre to report your dispute. You must do so within 180 days of paying.

Report the seller to Trading Standards

Trading Standards looks into criminal activity and prosecute sellers and traders who break the law. You’re not legally obliged to report someone selling fake goods, but it might stop other people accidentally buying fakes from them in future.

Read more about reporting a seller to Trading Standards.

Report the seller for fraud

You can:

Get help

Contact your local Citizens Advice bureau or Advice Direct Scotland's consumer service if you need more help.

Advice Direct Scotland's Consumer Service 

Freephone: 0808 164 6000