Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If you want a refund because of coronavirus

This advice applies to Scotland

If something you were planning to do has been cancelled because of coronavirus, you might be able to get a refund. For example, if you had travel plans or were going to an event.

You should check the website of the business or service you’re worried about or any emails you’ve received from them. They might have changed their normal rules to help you.

If you can’t pay your bills, check what extra help you can get

If you were meant to travel 

If your booking is cancelled because of coronavirus, you might be able to get a refund or choose to rebook for another time.

You’ll automatically have the right to a refund if your booking was for either:

If your booking was for something else, check the terms and conditions to find out if you’re entitled to a refund and how long it should take.

If you want to cancel a future booking

You might want to cancel a future booking - for example, if you’ve booked a holiday that will be affected by coronavirus restrictions.

You can check the rules on travel in the Scottish government travel guidance.

The company you booked with might agree to give you a refund. Check if you can get a refund by:

  • looking at their terms and conditions
  • contacting them and asking

If the company won’t give you a refund, it’s usually better to wait and see if they cancel the booking later. If they cancel the booking, they’ll have to refund you.

If you’re offered a voucher instead of a refund

It’s usually best to ask for a refund instead - you should contact the company you booked with and ask. They have to give you a refund if you’re entitled to one - for example, if they cancelled your travel.

If you’re thinking of accepting a voucher, check the terms and conditions, including:

  • when the voucher expires
  • whether you can change your mind later and get a refund

If the company you booked with has gone out of business

You should check if your booking will still go ahead - for example, you could:

  • check the company’s website 

  • call or write to the company and ask  

If you booked with a travel agent, you should contact the other companies your travel is with - for example, your flight or hotel provider.

If your booking isn’t going ahead, you might be able to get a refund - you can find out how to try and get your money back.

If your booking was for a package holiday, you should check the company’s website - they should tell you how to get a refund.

If your refund is taking longer than expected

It might take longer to get your refund at the moment because lots of people are asking for refunds.

You should contact the company and ask how long the refund will take. It’s worth telling them if you need the money urgently - for example, if you’ve lost your job because of coronavirus.

If the refund takes longer than the company said it would, you can find out how to complain.

If the company says they won’t give you a refund

If you have travel insurance, check if you can make a claim. You could read the terms and conditions or contact the insurer. You might also be covered by your home insurance or your bank account insurance.

If you claim on your insurance, you might have to pay: 

  • an excess fee
  • more for insurance in the future

If you spent money on someone else, you might not be able to claim it back unless they’re named on your insurance policy.

You could check if you can get a refund if you paid by card or Paypal instead.

You can try to get a refund from your card provider at the same time as starting your insurance claim. You can only get a refund from one of them - if you keep the money from both it could be fraud.

If you had tickets for an event

What you can do will depend on who you bought the ticket from. Check if you can get a refund on an event ticket.

If you don’t want to go to an event anymore but it’s not been cancelled, you might not be able to get a refund. 

Rearranging your wedding or civil partnership ceremony

You might be able to rearrange your wedding or civil partnership registration for a new date. Contact all of the services you’ve booked to check what they can do to help.

If you’ve got insurance for your wedding or civil partnership registration, check the terms and conditions to see what’s covered. 

If you want to cancel something and your contract shows you’ll be charged a cancellation fee or you’ll lose your deposit, it might not be fair. Check the government guidance on wedding contracts on GOV.UK.

Check if something is a scam 

Make sure you only use trusted sources of information about coronavirus.

If you see emails about coronavirus from someone you don't know, don't click on any links or buy anything.

Don’t give money or personal details to anyone you don’t know or trust – for example, if someone knocks on your door and offers to help.

You can check if something might be a scam.

If you need more help

You can check how to deal with a company that won’t give you a refund.

You can also contact your local Citizens Advice bureau if you need more help.

If a company has treated you unfairly, you can report them to Trading Standards. You can check how to report a company to Trading Standards.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.