Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Student loans

This advice applies to Wales

This page tells you who can get a student loan and where you can get more information about them.

Student loans

Student loans are authorised by the Government through the Student Loans Company (SLC).

What financial help you can get depends on the course you study, where you live while you are studying and your individual circumstances. Most full-time students can get a tuition fee loan to cover the full cost of tuition fees and a maintenance loan to cover the cost of living expenses.

You don’t normally have to pay the loan back until you’ve left college or university and your income has reached a certain amount.

You can get more information about student loans and other types of student finance, such as grants and bursaries, from the SLC website.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.