Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coronavirus - if you're worried about working

This advice applies to England

If you’re worried about work because of coronavirus, there are:

  • laws your employer should be following to make sure you’re safe
  • things to think about if you’re deciding whether to work
  • ways you might be able to keep getting paid if you can't work or decide not to 

You have the right to be safe at work whether you work full time or have a zero-hours contract.

If you’re ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ 

The NHS will have recently sent you a letter to tell you you’re clinically extremely vulnerable. The letter will give you advice on how to stay safe from coronavirus - this is called ‘shielding’.

If you haven’t got a letter but you think you should, ask your GP or hospital clinician.

The government say you should work from home if you can. If you can’t work from home, you shouldn’t go out to work. You should tell your employer you’re clinically extremely vulnerable as soon as possible. 

You can check if you’re clinically extremely vulnerable on GOV.UK.

If you can't work from home

You can ask your employer if they'll furlough you - find out more about being furloughed.

If your employer doesn’t furlough you, you might be able to get statutory sick pay (SSP). You can use your shielding letter as evidence to prove you can’t go to work. Check if you can get SSP

If you can’t get SSP, you should check what benefits you can get.

Check the guidelines for staying safe at work

The government have said you should work from home if you can. If you can't, your employer must do things to keep you safe from coronavirus. This could be by:

  • letting you travel to work at quieter times of the day
  • reducing how much face-to-face contact you have with the public
  • making sure that staff stay at least 2 metres apart in your workplace

You can read the government guidance for making workplaces safe on GOV.UK.

It’s a good idea to check if you’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010. A disability could be physical or mental - you could be covered even if you don’t consider yourself disabled. If you’re disabled it could be easier to negotiate with your employer about making your workplace safer.

If you’re disabled

Your employer might have an extra responsibility to make changes to your work to help you work. For example, they might have to give you a different job to do. 

This is called making ‘reasonable adjustments’ – check how to ask your employer to make reasonable adjustments.

You might also be able to get support from Access to Work to help you work. For example, they could pay taxi fares if you can’t safely use public transport because of coronavirus. You can find out more about Access to Work on GOV.UK.

If you live with someone vulnerable

Your employer doesn’t have to make changes to protect people you live with, but you should still ask your employer what they can do to help. They might agree to let you work in a way that will keep everyone safe.  

You can find out how to avoid spreading coronavirus to people you live with on the NHS website. 

You can also check what to do if you need to be off work to care for someone.

If you’re pregnant

Your employer has an extra responsibility to make changes to your job so it’s safe for you to keep working. If they can’t make changes to make sure you’re safe, they could give you a different role to do.

If it’s still not safe for you to keep working, you might have a right to stay at home and still get your full pay.

Check your rights at work if you’re pregnant.

If you think your workplace isn't safe

Talk to your employer if you think there’s more they could do to keep you safe. Try to be constructive and explain what you need to happen so that you’ll feel safe at work.

If you don't want to go to your workplace 

Your employer doesn’t usually have to pay you if you stop working. There are things you might be able to agree with your employer that mean you can still be paid if you stop working.

If you're not already furloughed, you can ask your employer if they'll furlough you. You’ll be paid 80% of your normal pay up to a maximum of £2,500 a month.

You should tell your employer if you have a health condition that means you’re ‘clinically vulnerable’ - you can ask your employer to furlough you. You can check if you’re clinically vulnerable on GOV.UK.

You should explain that the government guidance says you need to avoid contact with people as much as possible. If you can, ask your doctor for evidence of your condition.

If your employer agrees to furlough you, find out how the scheme works

If your employer can't or won’t furlough you

There are other things you can do:  

If your employer won’t help with your concerns

You should talk to an adviser. They could help you negotiate with your employer.

If you think your work should be closed

Some businesses have been told to close because of coronavirus - for example, nightclubs, dance halls and discos.

Check which businesses should be closed on GOV.UK. 

If you’re still working and you think the business should be closed, you can report your employer to the police or Trading Standards. Find your local Trading Standards Office on GOV.UK.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.