How to claim DLA for your child

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

You can claim DLA to help with the extra costs you have because of your child's health condition or disability. 

You can apply through a fast-track process if your child has been diagnosed as terminally ill - read our guide.

Check if your child is eligible

You can get DLA if your child:

  • needs more care, attention or supervision than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability or health condition, or

  • has difficulty walking or getting around outdoors in unfamiliar places

DLA isn't means tested, so it doesn't matter how much you earn or how much savings you have.

If you're not sure if you're eligible you can read more about eligibility for DLA for children.

Get an application form

You can either phone for an application form or download one. 

It's best to phone because your payments will be backdated to the date you phoned. If you download an application form, you'll only be paid from the date that the DWP receives the form.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Helpline

Telephone: 0800 121 4600 

Textphone: 0800 121 4523 

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 121 4600

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Video relay - if you use British Sign Language (BSL).  

You can find out how to use video relay on YouTube.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm 

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

You can download an application form from GOV.UK

Keep a diary

It’s a good idea to keep a diary of your child’s condition for a week before you fill in the form - particularly if your child has bad days and good days. Write down your child’s difficulties, the help or care you gave and how long it took.

Depending on your child's condition, you might want to keep a diary for longer than a week - for example if you child's condition usually affects them 1 week a month. 

We've made a DLA diary that you can print out and use 98.9 KB - it covers 7 days and gives you tips on what to write down. 

The diary can really help you when you fill in the form. You can also send it with the form as evidence if you like. 

Fill in the application form

There are specific things that the DWP will be looking for when they make a decision on your claim - so it's important that you fill in the form as best you can.

We recommend that you read our advice on filling in the DLA form to have the best chance of success.

Send your application form

It’s a good idea to make a copy of your filled-in application form and any other documents you send. This will be useful in case you need to refer to it later, for example if you need to reapply for DLA after a few years.

Send the form to:

Disability Benefit Centre 4

Post Handling Site B


WV99 1BY

If you’re waiting for something like a letter from your doctor, you should still send the form before the 6 week deadline. Include a letter saying you’ll send more evidence and give them an approximate date for when you’ll send it. If you send the form late you’ll only get paid from when the DWP receives it.

What happens next

You’ll get a letter from DWP within 2 weeks saying they’ve received your claim (or you might get a text message instead). Contact the DLA helpline if you haven’t received a letter after 2 weeks.

You’ll normally get a ‘decision letter’ within 3 months.

If your claim is successful, the decision letter will tell you how much you’ll get and for how long. If your claim isn’t successful, the decision letter will outline the reasons.

If you’ve been successful but you’re not sure you’ve been given the correct rate, it’s a good idea to contact your nearest Citizens Advice or phone the Contact a Family helpline on 0808 808 3555 to discuss it.

When your child turns 16 - moving to Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is a disability benefit similar to DLA, but for people 16 and over.

You’ll get a letter from the DWP shortly before your child’s 16th birthday telling you about switching from DLA to PIP. 

You’ll need to fill in a new form and your child will need to go for an assessment - even if they didn’t have an assessment for DLA.

If you’re waiting for a medical assessment

At the moment the DWP will try to do the assessment by looking at your child’s medical evidence - they might also ask to talk to them over the phone or by video call. It’s important to send their medical evidence as soon as possible.

In rare cases the DWP might invite your child to a face-to-face medical assessment.

Read our advice on moving from DLA to PIP to help you get ready.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.