Letter to complain to a trader about poor quality work agreed before 1 October 2015

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales


This letter applies to work that you gave the go-ahead for before 1 October 2015. If you gave the go-ahead on or after 1 October 2015, use our letter to complain to a trader about poor quality work.

Use this letter template to complain about poor quality building work, badly done decorating or a botched home improvement.

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Before you use this template, make sure you read our advice on problems with building work, decorating or home improvements.

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

Giltham Traders

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

27 May 2024

Reference: 2015/18

To whom it may concern,

On 21 October 2022 you did the following work for me: To have a new brick paving in my driveway.

I have discovered the following problem:

The brick paving on the driveway has been installed badly. The cement between slabs has not set or is missing and it is dangerous to drive on.

The Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 (As amended) says that reasonable care and skill must be used while working. In my opinion, you did not use reasonable care and skill when you carried out this work and you have broken your contract with me.

I ask that you:

Reset the paving. As a good will gesture I also request a 5% discount on the price of the job for the inconvenience your poor quality of work has caused me as I haven’t been able to use my drive for a long time.

Please contact me as soon as possible, and no later than 14 days from the date on this letter, to agree a date by which this work will be put right.

If I do not hear back from you in the time suggested above, I will consider taking further action and seeking legal advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone. You can also use an online form or write to them.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.