Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Contact the consumer helpline

This advice applies to England

If you have a Hotpoint or Indesit washing machine

Some Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines made between October 2014 and February 2018 have a fault, which means they could catch fire. 

If you think your washing machine might be affected, unplug it and call the manufacturer Whirlpool on 0800 316 1442 - if it’s a faulty machine they’ll replace it free of charge.

You can also contact the consumer helpline for advice.

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline (formerly known as Consumer Direct) if you need more help with a consumer problem.

Call the helpline

Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 0808 223 1133
Textphone: 18001 0808 223 1133
To contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 0808 223 1144
Textphone to contact a Welsh-speaking adviser: 18001 0808 223 1144
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Closed on bank holidays

An adviser will answer your call as soon as possible, usually within a few minutes. Once you're speaking to an adviser your call should take an average of 8 to 10 minutes.

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Chat with us online

You can also talk about your consumer issue with a trained adviser online. We’ll try to help you solve your problem or make good progress towards it.

Chat is usually available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.



To connect you to the right adviser, we’ll ask you for a few details, including your postcode.

Our chat advisers can't help with energy or post problems, but there are other ways to contact us for help with these.  

Other ways to contact us - including online forms

There are different ways you can get in touch, depending on what you need help with. All the options include using an online form.

Energy - the supply of gas or electricity

You can either contact us about your energy issue using our online form or write to us.

Citizens Advice consumer service
2nd Floor, Fairfax House
Merrion Street

Post - mail you've sent or received

You can either contact us about your post issue using our online form or write to us.

Citizens Advice consumer service
2nd Floor, Fairfax House
Merrion Street

Any other consumer issue

You can contact us about your consumer issue using our online form.

How the consumer helpline can help you

The helpline adviser can:

  • give you practical and impartial advice on how to resolve your consumer problem
  • tell you the law which applies to your situation
  • pass information about complaints on to Trading Standards (you can’t do this yourself)

However, the adviser can’t:

  • make a complaint for you
  • take legal action on your behalf

Before you contact the helpline

Before you contact the helpline, you should have a pen and paper ready.

To help the adviser give you the most relevant advice, you should be ready to give them as much of the following information as you can:

  • brief details of your problem, eg when you paid for the item or the service, how much you paid, how you paid for it, whether you did so in a shop or online
  • the seller or trader’s name and address
  • what you’ve done so far to try to solve the issue
  • your reference number (if you’ve already contacted the helpline about the same problem)

What we do with your information

We’ll use the information you’ve given us to answer your query. We might contact you to get your feedback on our service.

We’ll also share your information with Trading Standards and other trusted organisations we work with to help their consumer protection work. They could contact you with more advice, or to ask for more information that will help them with their work.

Tell us when you contact the consumer service if you don’t want your information to be shared.

Find out more about how we use, store and share your information.

If you’re unhappy with the service you've received

You should follow our complaints procedure.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.