Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get help if you're being evicted

This advice applies to England

Check if this advice applies to you

This advice will usually apply to you if all the following are true:

  • you have a private landlord
  • you don’t live with your landlord
  • you started renting on or after 15 January 1989

In most cases this means you’ll have an ‘assured shorthold tenancy’ or ‘assured tenancy’.

This advice applies to people with one of these tenancies. It’s worth checking your tenancy agreement to make sure.

If you’re not sure, or you have a different kind of agreement with a private landlord, check your tenancy type if you rent from a private landlord.

You can only be evicted if your landlord has followed the proper steps. They must:

  1. give you a valid eviction notice
  2. get a possession order from court if you haven't left by the date on the section 21 or section 8 notice
  3. apply to the court for a warrant of possession if you haven't left by the date on the possession order

If the court issues a warrant of possession, bailiffs can make you leave your home. They’ll give you 14 days’ notice to move out.

If your landlord hasn't followed the proper steps, you might be able to challenge the eviction and stay in your home.

If you have nowhere to stay tonight

Your local council might be able to give you emergency housing straight away, for example, if you've got health problems or you've got children that live with you. Check if you can get emergency housing.

If you can't get emergency housing your local council might be able to help you find a hostel or night shelter.

Check your eviction notice

If your landlord hasn’t gone to court yet, it’s worth checking your eviction notice first to make sure it’s valid.

If you have an assured shorthold tenancy, your landlord must give you either a ‘section 21 notice’ or a ‘section 8’ notice.

If you have an assured tenancy, your landlord must give you a section 8 notice.

You can:

If your landlord has discriminated against you

You might be able to challenge your eviction if your landlord has discriminated against you, for example if they're evicting you:

  • because of who you are
  • in a way that’s more difficult for you compared with other people
  • for a reason that's connected to your disability
  • because you complained about discrimination before

If any of these apply to you, you should check if your housing problem is discrimination.

Your local council has to help you to try to keep your home or find a new one if you qualify for homeless help. Check the criteria for getting housing help from the council.  

Check if you can get extra money

You might be able to get extra money if you need help finding somewhere to live.

Check if you can get:

Make sure you get your tenancy deposit back

Don’t forget to get your tenancy deposit back from your landlord after you move out. Read more about getting your tenancy deposit back.

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you need help with the cost of finding somewhere to live.

Help from charities for people facing homelessness

Some charities offer grants and funds to help people facing homelessness.

You can use the Turn2us grants search tool to find out if your client can get any help.

Get help from social services

If your council can’t find you a home, you might be able to get help with a deposit for somewhere to live from your council’s social services department.

Other help you can get

Read the fact sheets on the National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS).

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

Additional feedback