Get help with a housing discrimination problem

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

If you’re not sure if your problem is discrimination or you need help with taking action, there are organisations that can help.

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice

It’s a good idea to contact your nearest Citizens Advice first - they can help with your discrimination problem and any other problems you have.

For example if your landlord increased your rent when you became disabled, an adviser can help you complain about discrimination. They can also advise you about money problems caused by spending more on rent.

Contact the EASS helpline

You can also contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) with discrimination problems - they can help you find a way forward but can’t give legal advice.

Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) helpline

Telephone: 0808 800 0082

Text relay: 0808 800 0084

Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm

Saturday, 10am to 2pm

Calls to these numbers are free.

You can also contact the EASS helpline by filling in an online form or chatting online with an adviser. Check the EASS contact page for how to get in touch.

If you prefer to write a letter, use this address:

Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS)


EASS Helpline


Don’t send any documents when you write to them - they’ll ask for anything they need when they reply.

You can get in touch using British Sign Language (BSL) - check how to use the BSL service.

If you’re an adviser

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) runs EHRC Adviser Support, which is a helpline for advisers and solicitors.

Check how to contact EHRC Adviser Support.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.

Page last reviewed on 28 January 2019