Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get help if you're being evicted

This advice applies to England

You can only be evicted if your landlord has followed the proper steps. They must:

  1. give you a valid section 21 or section 8 notice
  2. get a possession order from court if you haven't left by the date on the section 21 or section 8 notice
  3. ask the court for a warrant of possession if you haven't left by the date on the possession order
  4. get an eviction warrant from the court - this means bailiffs can make you leave your home

If your landlord hasn’t gone to court yet, it’s worth checking your section 21 notice or checking your section 8 notice first to make sure it’s valid.

If your section 21 or section 8 notice isn't valid, you might be able to challenge the eviction and stay in your home.

Coronavirus - your landlord can’t go to court to evict you

The government have temporarily changed the law around evictions. Your landlord can’t take court action to evict you until at least 23 August 2020. If your landlord hasn’t gone to court to evict you, you won’t have to leave your home yet. 

Your landlord can’t evict you without a court order.

You might still have to leave if your landlord went to court before 27 March 2020 and arranged for someone to enforce the court order. This might be a bailiff or a High Court enforcement officer. 

Some bailiffs or enforcement officers might decide not to work because of coronavirus. It's a good idea to contact them to check if they’re going ahead.

If you think your eviction might be going ahead you should  contact your nearest Citizens Advice

You might be able to challenge your eviction if your landlord has discriminated against you, for example if they're evicting you:

  • because of who you are
  • in a way that’s more difficult for you compared with other people
  • for a reason that's connected to your disability
  • because you complained about discrimination before

If any of these apply to you, you should check if your housing problem is discrimination.

Your local council has to help you to try to keep your home or find a new one if you qualify for homeless help. Check the criteria for getting housing help from the council.  

If you have nowhere to stay tonight

Your local council might be able to give you emergency housing straight away, for example, if you've got health problems or you've got children that live with you. Check if you can get emergency housing.

If you can't get emergency housing your local council might be able help you find a hostel or night shelter.

Check if you can get extra money

You might be able to get extra money if you need help finding somewhere to live.

Check if you can get:

Make sure you get your tenancy deposit back

Don’t forget to get your tenancy deposit back from your landlord after you move out. Read more about getting your tenancy deposit back.

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you need help with the cost of finding somewhere to live.

Help from charities for people facing homelessness

Some charities offer grants and funds to help people facing homelessness.

You can use the Turn2us grants search tool to find out if your client can get any help.

Get help from social services

If your council can’t find you a home, you might be able to get help with a deposit for somewhere to live from your council’s social services department.

Other help you can get

Read the fact sheets on the National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS).

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.